Boat registrations and State

Misty IV

1 hour ago, moonfish said:

He does own property here and pays taxes on it. He said so himself. There is no problem with getting a Reggy here. Let me cut through the BS. The man pays enough taxes here already. He's trying to cut his Reggy costs by registering in pa. The man owns property on Mexico Bay ! Why pay in a state you don't operate in ? If I went to Florida to fish 6 months a year, that's where I would register the boat. He asked for opinion. People disagree with my opinion that's OK too. 

Well we owned property on the Perch River for 10-12 years. We didn't tow back&forth, but we did trailer to differant area bays, so in order to be legal on the road we registered the trailer and the boat into NY State for inspection purposes, it just made things easier, we had a 24fter and had it get the trailer inspected every year anyway. There used to be a garage in Dexter that was a inspection station, litterly 5 miles if that from our place, now there's a bank there. My dad and other uncle could get resident licenses, and me also, but friends of ours just got the 7 day licenses or a yearly one if they thought they were going to come up again. One thing the above poster states is correct, if you don't have a physical address you can own a thousands of acres and it doesn't matter, we needed to get a PO box to do this, the Mail has to go to a registered area, whether it's a PO box or a mail box. Gas was way cheaper and the economy was better we used to go sometime just for the weekend, but as we went less, we told the post master our situation and just eliminate the junk mail and put the rest in a cardboard box till we pick it up.

Edited by pap

Yes, and I believe the DMV does accept a USPS change of address form with receipt. Or have sender change & send mail to other address. Then retrieve your mail with that address and it is acceptable proof of address @ DMV. Think it might have to be a utility bill. At the DMV then you can fill out a change of address form and BOOM, your all set. Then can register boat in ny

Edited by moonfish

18 minutes ago, moonfish said:

Yes, and I believe the DMV does accept a USPS change of address form with receipt. Or have sender change & send mail to other address. Then retrieve your mail with that address and it is acceptable proof of address @ DMV. Think it might have to be a utility bill. At the DMV then you can fill out a change of address form and BOOM, your all set. Then can register boat in ny

Yea we had a electric bill also and a propane delivery, but the electric bill needs to be paid every month, so we gave Hank our neighbor a key to the PO box if we didn't think we would get there from the 15th to the 15th so we knew what to send up to Hank and he mailed our bill out for us. We were lucky to have a good neighbors like that. The propane we got delivered when we were there and just paid the bill right there.

I am in the same situation as you with a cottage on Sandy Pond.  Taxes are unbearable but I put up with it or sit home.  I have 3 boats , 2 used for fishing and they are registered in NY.  I know they are supposed to be.  The trailers are however, registered in PA because it is much cheaper.  NY wants $80+ trailer reg for my 27 ft Sportcraft trailer.  Unreasonable.  $6 in Pa.  I have a pontoon bought in Pa and as soon as the current reg is up I will transfer to NY.  It is in fact true that the regs say the BOAT should be registered where it is used most.

Trailer reg in NY is $5.39 per 500lbs so for a 8500gvw trailer it is $91.63.  Sort of like the NY property taxes.  Reg in Pa  up to 3000 gvw   $6.   3001 to 10000 gvw  $12

It is very easy to register a boat in NY if you are not a resident.  Go to the DMV office in Pulaski with your title, Pay plenty of $$ and they will re-register in NY.  No sales tax because you already own it.  Lots of fees though.  Paperwork and renewal will come to your Pa address.  Many years ago Pa did not do boat titles.  Then your latest Owners Registration Card will suffice.  I had that happen on one boat. Registered a few more also.

My NY boat registration cards have my Pa address on them.  Also,  When going to the DMV office in Pulaski, you need multiple forms of personal ID.  I forget how the system works for ID, but a Passport is best along with a valid drivers license and some other photo ID.  Fill out the forms  and Pay, Pay  and they will be happy to re-reg in NY.   No need other baloney.USPS change of address, ETC, ETC.    Just $$$

When I lived upstate PA and fished NY exclusively, I always registered my boats in NY. The law does require you to register your boat in the state of it's primary use. It's not a big deal at all to register your boat in NY. You do need a few different types of ID. As far as taxes, there was a form an out of state resident would use to avoid taxes. as you already paid taxes in your home state. I live in S.E. PA, and as Delaware has no sales taxes. folk like to buy a boat there and register it there. Then they dock the boat in NJ or MD for the summer. The DNR likes to cruise the marinas looking for boats not registered in the state they are docked. The they access healthy fines to them. 

I'd advise you to check into registering your boat in NY. When I did 10 years ago, it was actually cheaper than PA. 

18 hours ago, lrg355 said:

I am in the same situation as you with a cottage on Sandy Pond.  Taxes are unbearable but I put up with it or sit home.  I have 3 boats , 2 used for fishing and they are registered in NY.  I know they are supposed to be.  The trailers are however, registered in PA because it is much cheaper.  NY wants $80+ trailer reg for my 27 ft Sportcraft trailer.  Unreasonable.  $6 in Pa.  I have a pontoon bought in Pa and as soon as the current reg is up I will transfer to NY.  It is in fact true that the regs say the BOAT should be registered where it is used most.

Trailer reg in NY is $5.39 per 500lbs so for a 8500gvw trailer it is $91.63.  Sort of like the NY property taxes.  Reg in Pa  up to 3000 gvw   $6.   3001 to 10000 gvw  $12

It is very easy to register a boat in NY if you are not a resident.  Go to the DMV office in Pulaski with your title, Pay plenty of $$ and they will re-register in NY.  No sales tax because you already own it.  Lots of fees though.  Paperwork and renewal will come to your Pa address.  Many years ago Pa did not do boat titles.  Then your latest Owners Registration Card will suffice.  I had that happen on one boat. Registered a few more also.

It's not thst simple as it pertains to the taxes paid. You have to show what you paid in tax in the other state, prove it, then pay the difference in NY, which is always more. This law was designed primarily to prevent people from going to a state like Delaware which doesn't charge sales tax, then get a Coast Guard documentation on  your new boat in your home state , say NJ.

Then if you moor there for more than 90 days you are required to pay in that state. If you get caught! Cape May is a prime example of this and enforcement officers are always walking the docks and noting out of state registration. In NY it's not such a big concern on lets say a small trailered boat because the amounts of money don't compare to tax on a 54' 2 million dollar Buddy Davis Sportfishing Yacht. 

https://www.sapling.com/5994768/avoid-sales-taxes-boats

Edited by on the lam

I have transferred 2 boats and a PWC from Pa to NY reg.  The last one was about 7 years ago.  I had owned all for 5 years or longer before transfer.  Never paid any additional sales taxes at the DMV office in Pulaski.  I remember filling out a form stating that I had them a certain amount of time and had previously paid sales tax in the previously registered state.  Maybe the rules have changed lately.  Easy to check by interested parties by asking at the office.

From what I remember as long as the craft is registered they can't fine you no matter what state it is registered in the only exception to this is Maryland. My big boat is registered in NY and stays there. But my bass boat is registered in pa and we run it all over

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Has anyone printed out the registration application available online and done the process that way? I won't be up to the lake to getting the Pulaski DMV until March at the earliest and thought of getting this taken care of before the season starts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Has anyone printed out the registration application available online and done the process that way? I won't be up to the lake to get to the Pulaski DMV until March at the earliest and thought of getting this taken care of before the season starts.