Conflicting choices, help please

OK so I am ready to buy two wire dipsey set ups and two downrigger set ups to replace my old ones.

Sounds like the Daiwa heartlland rods are prefered and the Ugly stix's are ok too. Anyway I'm looking online since I don't live in Ontario fishing central and all the wire set ups I see say rollor guides. Is there a difference between a wire dipsey set up and a regular dipsey rod? I thought htere must be but I haven't seen it spelled out here. People just refer to rods as dipsey or downrigger rods.

The wire rods we use for salt water have all carbide guides. But we use monel or solid SS wire, not stranded so maybe there is a difference.

Anyway if someone could straighten me out on what the heck I should be ordering I'd appreciate it.

I want two wireline dipsey diver rods and reels.

Two downrigger rods and reels.

I will be running 30lb ande on the downrigger rods to avoid the dreaded (yet to be seen) fleas.

Thanks,

I'm so confused..............

Spike

Capt,

Here is what I run:

Downrigger set ups -Diawa Sealine sg47lca's w/ 30 lb Ande pink on Diawa Heartland 8 1/2' rods.

Dipsey set ups - Diawa Sealine SG47lca's w/1000' 30 lb. Malin SS wire on 9 1/2' Diawa Heartland dipsey rods with a twillie tip.

Roller rods are nice but not worth the extra cash. You can get the Heartland dipsey rods at Gander Mountain for $39.99 and the rigger rods for $29.99. Good luck.

Capt,

I like the Eagleclaw rods with the foam (not cork) grips. 8-1/2' SF400A for downriggers and Eagleclaw 10' SF403A for wire & mono dipseys. For the wire dipseys, I never cared for the twillie tips so I installed roller tips. Both rods are available on Ebay for $51 a pair plus shipping (Brett's place on the bay-seller). For reels I used a variety, Penn 320's, Okuma Titus, Convectors and Magda's. One thing, someone recently told me, the 10' dipsey rods are not as stiff as they used to be. The tips used to be very flexible but the lower half of the rod was very stiff to handle the pull of a large dipsey. They must of changed suppliers. 30lb Big Game mono on the downriggers and 30lb Malin wire, 1000'.

Sully

Well that is interesting. I have an old great lakes special dipsey rod and from what you guys are saying I can use that rod for wire line. That will save me the cost of a rod up front anyway.

Has anyone used the magda 45 reels for wire line? I bought a couple for leadcore line reels for fishing local and I like them a lot for the money they cost. Was thinking about using them for the wire reels as well. Anybody have any experience with them?

thanks,

Spike

The Magda series reels have had drag problems in the past. A 45 will work but it is a little big.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go with the adp47lc's or the sg47lc's.

I'll use one old dipsey rod and buy one new one. Buy four new rigger rods and use the reels I have. ( I have some shimano tritons and some penn 320's I can put on the rigger rods. I have a bunch of the 320's from striper chartering and never thought to use them on the riggers. I really don't need the line counters on them right now and it will save me some cash on the get go. Don't want to go broke all at once, not for a couple trips out a year. Next year I can re-rig with LC's for when I go spring fishing and using boards.

Thanks everyone you cleared my head.

Spike

Capt,

The 320's work well on the riggers. I also use them for stripers on the Hudson. You can't kill 'em and parts are readily available if needed. I use Magda's 30 for wire. I haven't had any problems with the drags yet but for what they cost, I didn't figure they would last too long. So far so good.

Sully