Cayuga Grand Slam in January!

Grand Slam in January!

Hit Taughannock this morning at 8am and I was suprised to see more than a few boats out.  The lake was as calm as Trump firing Obama.  The salmon were out over deep water with scattered bait up high which suprised me for this time of year.  Lots of bait was deep and I was marking fish down 110 to 250.  The first part of the morning I slowed way down (for me) 1.5 to 1.9. I started out 1 for 6 and couldn't seem to get a fish to stick but the slow speed seemed to be what they wanted.  Rigger parked at 55 and 3 color lead core were the salmon takers.  Got a few new warrior UV extreme flutter spoons and they were hot.  Ran a rigger down 140 to 175 trying to pick a laker or two, their bite was slow but thankfully the big paddle and ironduke uv wild child trolling fly was the ticket for a few lakers.    Picked up a buddy at 10 and we fished south.  Picked up a small bow and a keeper brown.  Overall ended the day with two keeper salmon, two lakers and a brown.  I do love Cayuga.  Can't beat it for a winter break! The launch is super low and going out into the lake stay as far south as possible.  Good luck if ya'll get out! 

IMG_20170119_163636.jpg

Edited by Nautitroller

Nice work! Was out with Frisco Monday and that's better than we did! Only decent screens were in 300 plus and down 150 minimum! We had 2 dinks n 2 Lakers. I will say you couldn't have been warmer than us in his beautiful Lund. It was warm n cozy with the heat blaring! Definitely wanna watch the gravel bar on the north side of the chute.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Congrats Nautitroller!! That's a nice haul!! Who would think January 19th fishing out of a boat??, I know my next boat will be a outboard!! This sucks now, it's nice to be fish but with all the bull shyt you have to do with an out board. I'm going to make my boat so easy to get at to drain the block, that's the bytch of it. I'm going to screw in a brass fitting that except 3/8 or 1/2" hose and put the fitting in the end of the hose wherei can easily get too it and open the valve done deal, as of now I can't get to the port side where the power steering cooler and heavy cables to the starter. I need to make this easier so I can use my boat during this type of winters!!

We've done this this winter top water trolling for years with tremendous success in January however the last six years the top water bite has been minimal which baffles me. Our logs show many days of 20 silvers plus coming off the surface until about 2010 then it has died off, is it bait, it can't be temp with the warm winters that we've had. There's certainly plenty of fish.

There's plenty of fellow anglers on this board that I've fished with so they know the history so I would like to hear opinions.

Ken

5 hours ago, Frisco said:

We've done this this winter top water trolling for years with tremendous success in January however the last six years the top water bite has been minimal which baffles me. Our logs show many days of 20 silvers plus coming off the surface until about 2010 then it has died off, is it bait, it can't be temp with the warm winters that we've had. There's certainly plenty of fish.

There's plenty of fellow anglers on this board that I've fished with so they know the history so I would like to hear opinions.

Ken

My theory on that is the smelt are the ones that still hang out up near the surface and the alewifes are the deep fish. The fish I caught were in small areas near bait that was up near the surface.  The fish finder showed a few tight balls of bait about 30-50' down I'm guessing smelt or maybe fingerling perch.. The fish I kept had empty stomachs except the lakers which had large alewifes in them. Being that the smelt population has been on the decline it may go along that the winter fishing has declined or that the fish are just feeding a lot deeper.

3 hours ago, final flight said:

U. V. Flutter spoons..... who would have thought emoji41.pngemoji41.png. Wish I still had the Blue Bubble I would be there today !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Rollie dust off the Arima and roll it north!! Thanks a bunch for the insight on those they not only look great but catch fish!!  

But seriously the launch there at Taughannock is too shallow for a bigger boat. So if anyone drafts over 2' I would go to Deans cove. Heck fishing usually is better up there anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts that's pretty much what we've been thinking it's gone on too long to be a phase, too bad I enjoy the top water stuff much more. Guess I need to dust off the lead.

Thanks