The Oak - 1/21/17

We got in our first trip of the year today.

The river was mud and debris but we puttered our way out around 9 am.

We made a pass to the west almost to Johnson's and then back.

We hit 6 fish on the way up , landing 4.

On the way back just two hits. The first fish was something with some shoulders on it that broke us off.

The next was another brown.

We wended 5 for 8 in those two passes and just came in. The fog was so thick it was too frustrating. 4 browns and a laker.

Had a Big Jon handle break off a planer reel today too. It wasn't forceful , I was just slowly cranking it in and it broke off. Its always something.

It's nice to be using the boards in January :)

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

Edited by Born to Fish
typo

Well damn moony, they say they're 4 matches of closeness to everyone, other than twins or more can there be exact matches!! To the guys fishing, Congrats to your outings, one word comes to mind SO JEALOUS, it hurts!! Awesome job guys here's to you  :beer:. And the 2017 year!!

1 hour ago, moonfish said:

OMG!!!  The guy in blue flannel looks exactly like me ! Same glasses, gotee,  I own the same flannel too ! I thought how did they get a picture of me ?! I do have a twin. O-M-G. Hey nice fishing bro !

Hope you don't smoke too man. Lol.

Ha Ha I will tell my friend he as a twin.

Your twin's name is Jason, he's a die hard ice fisherman but that sucks right now where we live.

I guess I counted wrong we caught 5 browns and a laker,

2 baits produced well were the bomber 14a mother of pearl and a rebel fasttrac jointed that is like an old school glow chartreuse .

That's cool. This year is my first year trolling. Hope to get out for first time this weekend. From what I'm seeing it seems like browns are pretty active right now. I'm in Rochester and a post here says gobie and orange crush short sticks are hitting well. How long is that jointed fasttrac ?

Thanks for the tip gambler.

It seems like there always something to spend money on.

Moonfish... I thought it was a fastrac but it a normal jointed rebel, 4 1/2 inch (the top lure)

I usually start a mix (GFR, chartreuse, perch, gold/black, green, pink, etc) then adjust as we catch multiples

The bottom lure has always been productive. every time we fish it produces, usually the most .... its a 3 1/2 inch  bomber. They make a 15a but it is not as productive....

lures.JPG

6 hours ago, Born to Fish said:

Thanks for the tip gambler.

It seems like there always something to spend money on.

Moonfish... I thought it was a fastrac but it a normal jointed rebel, 4 1/2 inch (the top lure)

I usually start a mix (GFR, chartreuse, perch, gold/black, green, pink, etc) then adjust as we catch multiples

The bottom lure has always been productive. every time we fish it produces, usually the most .... its a 3 1/2 inch  bomber. They make a 15a but it is not as productive....

lures.JPG

Yeah, I have jointeds & couple 15a, but l have shorter stuff too. Was just seeing what length they're hitting. Hey gonna send u pm.

• 2 weeks later...

What was the length of that laker?? That would be on the wall for me. I have only targeted lakers on Finger Lakes and not Ontario. For Ontario thats still a very lengthy and beautiful wall hanger!

What was the length of that laker?? That would be on the wall for me. I have only targeted lakers on Finger Lakes and not Ontario. For Ontario thats still a very lengthy and beautiful wall hanger!

Come on up to Niagara County in March and April. All the lakers you can handle and then some. 50 fish before noon not uncommon. Just make sure you take your limit home with you and save some alewives for the salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

Hey King Slammin, how far out are the lakers at that time???? I have a small boat and wouldnt be ale to

get to the bar if thats what your talking about.

You don't have to go out far.  50-70'