jerky

I've had many different recipes made up, given to me from many secret places. I litterly made hundreds of pounds of jerky in my jerky carear, first off costs to make a brine is very expensive. Worcestershire sauce is costly, and the soy sauce plus the spices and cure salts. The biggest problem with the homemade brines is consistency, even if you used different brands from soy sauce to soy sauce and the Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins verses store brand will change the flavor a lot. I found a place from Colorado that makes a sweet/hot mix that my kids love!! I buy it in 10lbs. bags and it takes X amount of o/z's  per 5lbs. of meat you mix it with cold water and add meat and mix by hand till the mix is all absorbed by the meat. It feels tacky, and I put the meat into a gallon Ziplock bag and remove as much air as possible and let it in the refridguater flipping occasionally for 24hrs. Before going into the smokehouse, which I do it in a outdoor smokehouse I use propane for heat and a small woodstove outside and add my smoke by hooking a piece of stove pipe to the smokehouse. I use 6" pipe into the smoker with a damper so I can control the heat and exhauste the smoker with a 3" stove pipe with a damper.  But getting back to the brines, I'm very happy I found this mix, lord help me should this company close up!! LOL:lol:

Found this recipe on the web.  It is the favorite one for us all in the house for whole muscle meat jerky.

BLUE RIBBON JERKY

INGREDIENTS

1 pound lean beef sirloin tip, beef round, or flank sliced into 1/ 8 inch strips
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup liquid smoke
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Mix all the ingredients except the beef in a saucepan. Heat until the brown sugar has all melted and no crystals remain.
2. Pour marinade (while still warm to the touch but not hot) - over beef and refrigerate for at least 5 hours - the longer the better.
3. Dehydrator: Cover trays with strips without overlapping . Dry 4 Hours at 140 F. Turn strips and rotate trays. Dry another 6 to 8 Hours. Well-dried jerky should be dark and fibrous looking and Brittle enough to splinter when bent in two. Oven: Lay strips of marinated meat in rows over trays being careful not to overlap strips. Dry at 110 F until strips will splinter on the edges when bent in two, 12 to 18 hours.

3 lbs venison sliced 3/16"-1/4"

1 cup soy

1 cup worstershire

2 TBS liquid smoke

2 TBS garlic powder

2 TBS onion powder

2 TBS black pepper

Combine and let marine for 24 hrs. Dehydrate until desired toughness. Just did 15 lbs. Takes a while to slice into consitant thickness but it's worth the effort. Doesn't last long around here