Best value for line counter reels

I'm looking to upgrade my line counter reels from Okuma Magna's. Can anyone weight in on what is the best value? I'll probably start with my wire rigs. I know Shimano Tekota is everyone's favorite but at $185 a pop its out of my price range. I'm thinking under $100 a piece.

Thanks

Justin

are you only looking for new?  for around 100 you can usually get some pretty decent reels used.  just have to keep an eye on the ad's and its a good reason to go to flea markets.  

Personally i like diawa for reels but on a tighter budget sometimes you take what comes along.  I use several sealines from the 90s and they still perform 

best value for line counters is what you already have,the magdas are good reels,that hold up just fine.i have some that are 5 years old now and still work just fine,i think I have had 1 drag go bad,sent it to tuna toms and it was fixed for 10 bucks.i did what you are looking to do and bought a bunch of convectors,they are good reels also,but they didn't put any more fish in the boat,so stick with what you have and spend that money on something else,just my 2 cents.

X2 what fins stated. Been running magdas for about 5 years also. Just loosen up drags when not using. Had one with bad line counter so I just use that on rigger rod. At this point if I had to replace i am still ahead given prices of other reels. Never lost a fish due to drag issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I switch from magdas to convertors for all my rods from dippseys, to board rod with lead core and now wire, I run the 30s but just set up three rods with copper, I got 3 cv-45-ds from angler ave at the show for 75$ line counter reels...new...

good luck Rick

On 1/23/2017 at 6:37 PM, jth21usa said:

I'm looking to upgrade my line counter reels from Okuma Magna's. Can anyone weight in on what is the best value? I'll probably start with my wire rigs. I know Shimano Tekota is everyone's favorite but at $185 a pop its out of my price range. I'm thinking under $100 a piece.

Thanks

Justin

Okuma Convectors are a solid choice but If you shop around you can also find Okuma Cold Waters for under your $100 price tag

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the standard Penn #209s and 309's for years. The309s with power handles  are good for Seth Greens....I'd stay away from the 209's the drag on them sucks and neither the older standard 209 or 309 are line counter reels. The new 209 line counter reels or the Warefare aren't much of an improvement over the old ones although they sport carbon fiber drags. The retrieval rate still is lousy (3.2:1). The  Okuma Magda Pro 45DX models are good reels for the money and have pretty good line capacity and will do the job for the routine sport fisherman but for real frequent fishing for kings the Convector is a  better choice. My preference is for Diawa reels though even though I use both. I have never had a problem with any of the Diawas over the many years I've used them and there are several in the $100 range and come with carbon fiber drags. I had a Convector malfunction right out of the box. I don't think the quality control is as good on the Okuma reels but this is just my personal opinion. The important thing is to get a reel that works smoothly and that the drag operates well and it can be worth the few bucks for reels that have the standard drags to replace with carbon fiber drags. Tuna Tom does a great job in this regard at a very fair price. Another useful feature is to get a power handle  if the reels have the option and some come standard with one. They help in retrieving coppers and leadcores.  Most of the less expensive reels have a 15 lb. drag system whereas some of the more expensive options feature an 18-20 lb drag which can be helpful with kings:).

Edited by Sk8man

I also run all line-counter Convectors. I have them in size 15, 20, and 30. I've had the larger reels in 45 and 55 series, but the 30 series will do everything I need them to do. I thought about upgrading to Coldwaters, but at this point it would be a waste of $, as I am perfectly happy with what I have. I've tried several different brands, buying and selling, and finally have a group of reels that are going to stay in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

I've had some Tica Seaspirit's for several years and next to the Tekota I think they are a very solid option.  They are not a reel you see or hear about very often outside of their micro ice fishing reels but you can get them for right around $100 and I think they have a great drag and have held up very well.  I like them better than my Diawa Sealines.  Looks like Walmart has them for $95.  Here's a link to them.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/48667886?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227036265533&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=98021094648&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-137049854688&wl5=9004684&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=48667886&wl13=&veh=sem

Edited by slipbob

I would be caiutious about running them with 7 strand stainless wire though as the line guide on the reel frame is made of aluminum and often stainles wire cuts through aluminum over time.