Boat Trailers

NPike

Boat Trailers

Do trailer with rollers really have an advantage loading your boat vs trailers made with bunks. (Leave load guides out of this, since they can come on either type trailer). If so what are the advantages?

Thank you

Each type may have advantages dependent on the size of boat and hull shape as well as  what material the hull is made from. Rollers can leave indentations in the bottom of the boat if the weight isn't distributed properly or the trailer isn't set up properly for the boat.

Well I'm in the process of trying to come up with a back rollers and the rest bunks. I have had boats for many years and all were roller trailers, I went with my uncle who's inlaw owns a 22ft cuddy and it's a newer trailer boat package, trailer is a bunk trailer. He backed down to the water unhooked the boat completely from the trailer, threw me the rope while I walked to the dock. He then backed into the water till boat was free. Pulled boat over to the dock, easy. Loading was spot on as the bunks put the boat on the trailer perfectly. Pulled ahead till I could reach the chain hook as I was nervous that the boat was going to slide back, not the case!! OH and the wind was coming the absolute wrong way, yet loaded perfectly. A roller trailer you need to back to the water and into the water that you can reach the both hooks. I unhook the safety chain then let cable out a little then back into the water enough to get wet up to my ankles mabe more, unhook the cable run over to the dock and pull boat over to dock. Now loading I tilt my rear rollers so the foremost roller is as high as it gets drive boat onto trailer so the bow is in the back set of rollers, OH raise trim up till just under the water which also makes for lift on the nose, square up with the front bumper slowly add power until you have the boat up to or close enough to hook winch cable, continue power till your partner gives you the sign. If you have a boat that's 20ft with a open bow that you can reach the hook yourself that's what I had before and a roller trailer is the way to fly. If you have a 22ft cutty like what I have now, this boat is a Be'och to load period, I think I would like a bunk trailer like my uncles inlaws. I saw many pluses in a bunk vs. a roller trailer. Me being disabled can't do it myself, but even the way I am I could load and unload a19ft open bow boat using a bunk or a roller trailer, but I'd prefer a bunk over a roller either way!! After seeing Dave load and unload his boat off of a bunk trailer. I'm sure there will be guys that will say rollers all the way, and vise-versa!! They sell both types yet so whatever floats yer boatLOL

Solo launch and load, bunks are my choice. Like pap said, the boat stays with the trailer unhooked on the ramp. Two guys, it's the fastest in and out. One in the boat driving on, one in the vehicle towing out to stage area. Drive on drive away, it stays. Shallow launch is a disadvantage. You need to back further in to float the boat. Some ramps are short, and the axles can go off a concrete ramp. What pap said is spot on, even trimming the prop up to help lever the bow up the slope of the trailer bunks.

cent frum my notso smartphone

But.......what if one obeys the sign and doesn't power load ? I take some comfort in knowing my rollers serve in any case, short ramp, steep ramp...whatever,  and I'm pushing 80. I must admit to having installed a longer winch handle. When I did , I knew I was good for even Noah's ark.

Power loading isn't needed all the time. Glide in at idle in gear to the trailer will suffice to lodge the hull into the bunks. Getting familiar with the depth of the bunks is beneficial to gliding in under idle power. Yes you can still use the winch just as a roller trailer. I always trim the prop way up, then all the thrust goes up to surface,and little chance of blowing gravel out, but good for blowing seaweed out for the next guy and he gets less trailer foul. [emoji38]

Then why when we look in the parking lots I see way more roller trailers than bunks? Are they cheaper to build ? I know I helped replacing the bunks is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the rollers and washers and clips. I did this on my roller trailer. I replaced the black dry rotted rollers with a clear non marking roller which wasn't a special order. At the time I had a white 18' center console with black marks all over till I replaced the rollers.

I don't know pap. My guess is folks buy a boat for the boats purpose and the trailer is not a major consideration. Manufacturers package boats with trailers and just assume everyone will be good with the roller versions. They buy the package from dealer stock, or if used, that's what was already under it. Folks don't often think about the form of trailer and loading, launching chores, ease, or necessity, they are focused on the water time mostly and adapt to the trailer as is. Rollers may have some distinct advantages over bunks, but not for my use. I was once at the restraunt at Point Breeze and watched an untethered, unhooked Tow Boat on roller trailer, launch on the concrete one evening. Before it got near the water. Couldn't believe what I was seeing! Hope the distressed boat in the lake wasn't expecting a fast recovery. The bunks just work better for me, and I would specify that style for myself, as important as the boat itself.

Bunk, more evenly distributed weight. Think about the roller trailer for the 20' or so, say it has 24 rollers with each one 3" long and touching the trailer with 1/2" on each roller...gives you support of 6' x 1/2" for the entire boat, IMO thats a lot of concentrated stress on the hull.

Edited by scobar

When I bought my 21 fter I wanted a roller trailer and was willing to pay more for it . Guy talked me into bunks & I am glad he did. Launch easy, loads easy  as  my 16 fter and always goes on straight. Safer. & better for hull .