Lamoka Lake Tournament?

I really wish they would stock both Lakes....it would make a lot of sense & cut down on pressure at waneta ..... I only get there a few times per year & haven't bothered to venture to Lamoka due to lack of time....how has everyone done when targeting them at lamoka?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

With the DEC maybe looking into stocking both lakes , I believe a tournament would not only show interest in Lamoka but also show us and the DEC how Lamoka does with muskies since the studies they did are almost 40 years old.
To the best of my knowledge, if the DEC sees that there is interest, we may have a shot at getting both stocked.
Good topic, please chime in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know this is probably way too early but would they stagger stocking between Lamoka and Waneta (every other year), split the current Waneta stocking 50/50 between the two lakes.... basically, will they take fingerlings away from Waneta or leave Waneta stocking as is and add to Lamoka?

I've fished Lamoka twice. Both times were for less than an hour during a mid-day lull. Like Tiger Stalker, I only get to Waneta a few times a year (100 miles one way) so I tend to fish the spots I know produce but Lamoka does have some nice looking water.

These are things the club and the DEC will have to work out if they see there is interest in stocking lamoka. No one knows yet if we can even get them on board. It's been a topic at our meeting but hopefully things will get moving.
I am with you also, tried Lamoka for a short time at mid day , left bc of confidence issues.

I think it'd be a cool experience for a couple of reasons: as Zach mentioned, we could show that there is interest in stocking the lake. Also, a lot of us have only given lamoka a very small chance. Like you guys, the only times I have ever tried it were during mid day lulls when nothing was moving anyways. It'd be cool to have a bunch of sticks working lamoka all day to see what we could come up with...not to mention it really levels the playing field and everyone's guess is as good as all others which is a cool element to a tournament. 

There are definitely fish in there - they've been stocking waneta for the better half of a century so fish have certainly moved back and forth. Muskies like to move

Most beautiful fish I've seen outta that lake system was a 50" thru the ice on Lamoka.
Reason I want a Lamoka tourney- show the Dec we r interested and to get some good fisherman on the lake to pull some fish out n show the dec. I am 110% down if I can get support, I'll have a vote on it next meeting.

If the end goal is to see a re-introduction of the stocking program back into Lamoka lake, then providing evidence to the DEC that they already exist in there is step 1.  I believe it helps make their job easier to stock a lake that already has a population of fish species in there vs. trying to make the case for "introducing a new species" into a system.   As it currently stands, the DEC does not officially recognize muskies as being in Lamoka.

While the tournament could help with this, you really want to see the DEC capture some in the spring trap netting this year. 

I believe that there is also already a study done on stocking muskies in Lamoka.  Mike might be able to shed more light on that study.  To the best of my knowledge the biggest concern is the oxygen levels on Lamoka. 

2 hours ago, zach said:

Also new rule- it's a boat tournament now and a max of 6 rods per boat

Agreed :yes:  In my own opinion, it's very hard to enforce individual tournament under a points structure.  One way or another, it ends up being a boat tournament anyways so better approach is to make it boat tournament and limit rods.  Nicely done Zach.