Lamoka Lake Tournament?

I was told by my buddy who is a huge bass guy that tournaments at waneta & lamoka will be limited to (I believe he said) 11 boats for 2017? Just thought I would mention that so as to avoid people wasting their time trying to book a tournament just to find that there is limited space.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My friend showed me on FB a group (CV Bass) that got a letter from DEC saying no more open tournaments on waneta & Lamoka but only closed tournaments 11 boats or less.... not sure if this is all correct or what.... not trying to pass bad info..... just heard it so thought to mention to u all

This may be due to complaints of rigs being parked on the edge of the road from residents. On bass opener, which is also formerly musky opener up until last year, I have heard that they can be parked up to and beyond Waneta Lake Road on both sides on opening weekend. The Lake Association has a lot of clout in Albany through the county legislature chairman whom some of you may know. He was also instrumental in pushing for the gas storage facility at Seneca Lake. Also, some of the residents really don't like the idea of there being public access on the lakes. Some of them think the lakes should be for residents only.

It would be nice if they could expand the public launch area to include more parking but it might be easier said than done.

I will try to find out more info about this from locals and maybe from region 8 contacts.

Edited by muskiedreams

Do they have weekly bass tourneys there? I remember my first trip to waneta on opening day I had to park 1/4 mile up the road from the launch....

As for the team tourney, I think it's a great idea, it'll prevent any suspicions of who caught which fish....
The only possible downfall is if someone is casting alone, they would be at a disadvantage up against a boat of casters or two trollers with 6 rods out.

Thoughts?????

Had a member ask if we should go to a tourney format where we only count our 3 best muskies instead of getting points for each fish to an unlimited amount.

I guess this is how salmon tournaments are run but this new mentioned idea was ment to help even the playing field between casters n trollers.

Throwing my 2 cents out there..... I think each and every fish your lucky enough to catch should count and not best 3.

It's an open discussion guys- tell me the communities thoughts. If its something the majority support, i will make changes, if not- we will keep it the same.

I'd also like to see if anyone wants to have an "informal" half day - ONE LURE challenge on Cassadaga (limited to #s) the morning after our Chautauqua outting. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I personally really like the idea of a fish cap (like 3 fish in your example).  I would say this evens the field (not in the sense of casters vs trollers), but completely for the beginner vs. the seasoned pro.  Like Frank's boat showed us last year on Chautauqua, it is possible to put up some amazing numbers of fish on the tournament day...but these numbers are something a beginner will not be able to compete against.  After a couple of tournaments with a similar result, these beginners will stop attending since they will lose hope of winning or cashing (which I do not want to see anyone do!)

Like a bass tournament, if you are lucky enough to catch more than three fish, you will be able to virtually "cull".  This opens a neat strategy in the tournament -- do you keep pounding your water that you have had (numbers) success in, or do you go searching for a  pig kicker?

Also, limiting the amount of fish opens new strategies of going for smaller fish or going for a couple beasts.  My favorite part of a tournament happens well before the tournament day...it is all in the preparation!

Larry's tournaments used to bring in amazing numbers of contestants.  I highly hope we can get back to those numbers someday, but I feel discouraging some participants will not be the way to get there.

--Joe

If you limit the number of fish per team, I don't see how it can be controlled. I don't think you could make a team quit or somehow not let them enter any other fish once they have caught the limit. If you limit to three and they catch more, they can easily just report the three longest unless you have a reliable real time method of tracking all catches. If it is just limited to three and they can just report the three largest, it will have no affect on leveling the playing field. I believe that in trout and salmon tournaments that limit to three fish use impartial monitors on each boat to record the catches and enforce the rule.

The points system was designed to help level the field between seasoned and less experienced anglers as much as possible. A 38" fish earns the same number of points as three 30" fish (12 pts). A 44" fish earns the same as two 36" fish (18 pts). And the team system helps a little more by insuring that one boat cannot take more than one place, although if they are entered in the big fish pool they could get that as well as 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

With a format of prizes based on single fish length, there is a much better chance that one boat can take two or more prizes. Although there is still a chance that a newbie could take one of the top prizes.

With the team format, if we have a big fish pool, it should be required that all or none of the anglers on a boat can be entered in the big fish.

IMO, the points system along with team format levels the field as much as possible and along with other measures, reduces the possibility of cheating or gaming the system as much as possible.

It was my thought originally that if Ur tired of guys catching more fish than u, then change the way you fish to be able to compete.

Like if u can't compete with trollers, then join em n go out side Ur comfort zone. It's a game to be won and u may have to change the way u fish if u wanna win.

Most people know by now certain lakes at certain times are better for casting vs trolling.

Our summer Chautauqua outting is usually won trolling the south end so if u wanna win, do u troll the south end or do we change the whole format and everything we have had in place so someone else can win?

I say if ya can't beat em, join em. Mike thomas n I woulda been in the $ last summer at Chautauqua if it wasn't for lost fish as we coulda been up there with Dr dave n frank if we stuck what hit.

I'm on the fence about the 3 fish rule but think it's awesome we are rethinking the way tourneys are run.

Nolad- I miss those Cpt Larry tourneys also, I remember signing up early bc I was scared of not getting in the 125 people cut off. I'm gonna invite the Pennsylvania guys n Ohio guys, hope that's cool and I hope to get the #s up again.