Fish Hawk Probe

jimalbert

Fish Hawk Probe

How are you guys attaching your weights to the fish hawk probe?  I use 12lb torpedo weights and using the the break away chain seems a bit sketchy.  Any ideas?  What are you guys doing?

THanks,

Jim

Edited by jimalbert

I thought it was sketchy also but last season the break away didnt break (Twice) and we lost the whole shabang

Chances are the probe hung up first versus the ball... imo..

Making your storeies, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Although the breakaway "dropper" is designed to fail first, it doesn't go through the abuse your regular cable or braid goes through(running over pulleys, on spools, through lanyards, ect). It is extra critical to examine the rigger the probe is on and perform more routine maintenance to up the odds against losing the whole "shebang."

Wish you would have told me that last July Capt. VP.  I'm still looking for a used one but they are like finding hen's teeth. Your post is 100% correct. Best I can figure is the cable broke about 4 feet above the ball.

On 1/26/2017 at 4:22 PM, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Although the breakaway "dropper" is designed to fail first, it doesn't go through the abuse your regular cable or braid goes through(running over pulleys, on spools, through lanyards, ect). It is extra critical to examine the rigger the probe is on and perform more routine maintenance to up the odds against losing the whole "shebang."

No truer words have been spoken! you are spot on.

JIM.I have a spare , but have to locate it. It may be in my boat in storage. I am in Rochester and assume I can PM you . If you know Sam and Terry Hoagland on the Lake Hap...say hi.  They have one of my nicest early wood canoes. Dave

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, tlr426 said:

I attach my probe to my main line with a scotty snubber under to my 20 # Sharks. The snubber has a lighter breaking strength then the main cable. Works the same as the breakaway cable just more secure and a little stronger.

Exactly, and the snubber helps to soften blows to the downrigger/gunnel in wavey conditions.

Mr. Dane...found the probe and can't get the test light to blink when the unit is in the on position......so will probably talk with the factory Monday. Sorry, I can't help at the moment. I do have some other things to move out. You are so nearby, I thought I would mention  it. i will advise on the probe malady. Thanks , Dave