Question for those fishing from 19 foot and smaller boats

horsehunter

Question for those fishing from 19 foot and smaller boats

What side is your kicker on and why? I'm putting a 20 HP Suzuki kicker connected to main for steering with controls on console on my boat and have to decide. Most people I know have it port side but I'm seeing some on TV on the starboard side one that comes to mind is on The Next Bite but I think that was a tiller.

Hi HH,

I'm not an expert by any scale but I have some experience and ideas on your question.  There are lots of things to consider before you mount your kicker.   First, you may want to consider which side the wiring harness, control cables and steering tube for the main engine are on. I've found most of the time that's the SB side so it makes sense to put the kicker on the other side (port) so all that stuff isn't in your way all the time. Double check everything on the transom, inside and out to determine what's in the way on either side. (I drilled a hole in a portable fuel tank once) If possible, mount the kicker temporarily before drilling any holes and check that it swivels to both sides freely and that you can tilt it up and down without interference.  Since your kicker is electric start/remote control make sure you'll be able to hook up the wiring, controls, and steering with no problems. I bet some other guys will add to this but let me say, sometimes deciding which side is easy.  My boat has a boarding ladder/swim platform on the SB side so my kicker is Port.  As far as efficiency and actually powering/propelling your boat I don't think there's a significant difference which side the kicker is on.  Hope this helps.   Good luck with your project.

1 hour ago, Miss em said:

Port side to help offset weight of captain in starboard side.  At least for me I fish alone a lot.

also consider the weight of you batteries & where they are to off set each other & other equipment so the boat doesn't lean to one side.

Chascurt also had many good ideas to keep in mind. 

21 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Mine is on port side. My kicker is a 9.9. 20 horse is serious overkill for a 19 footer.  I know people who use a 20 horse as the main engine on their 18 and 19 footers.

80% of my fishing is muskies on big water trolling at 4.5 miles per  hour. I have friends that have to use their big motor in the wind because their 9.9 don't cut it it. With Suzuki which is the same as my main 9.9, 15, and 20 are the same weight but the 15 isn't available with remote control. The 20 will only be running at the low end of it's RPM range.The nice thing about the Suzuki is it's fuel injected.

Edited by horsehunter

18 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

80% of my fishing is muskies on big water trolling at 4.5 miles per  hour. I have friends that have to use their big motor in the wind because their 9.9 don't cut it it. With Suzuki which is the same as my main 9.9, 15, and 20 are the same weight but the 15 isn't available with remote control. The 20 will only be running at the low end of it's RPM range.The nice thing about the Suzuki is it's fuel injected.

If they are the same weight,go for it

13 minutes ago, horsehunter said:

Like I said 20 weighs exactly the same as the 9.9 and I frequently troll at 5 mph

Read your specs again . The 20 hp is 20 pounds heavier than the 9.9. Still,116 pounds is light for a 20 horse

I guess i listened to two dealers that said they were basicly the same motor. The 6 year warranty and the fuel injection is what sold me. I have two boats with Suzuki 4 strokes and just sold another a year ago. My only issue is I launch and start the motor and when walking back from parking the truck i always think the motor quit because I can't hear it. I love my Suzuki

Edit: Suzuki Canada site shows 108 lbs for both 9.9 and 20

Edited by horsehunter

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is on port side. My kicker is a 9.9. 20 horse is serious overkill for a 19 footer.  I know people who use a 20 horse as the main engine on their 18 and 19 footers.

20 may not be too overkill. Suzuki and honda I believe, the 20hp models actually weigh the same as a merchant or yamaha 9.9. My BF20hp honda with electric trim and start weighs 120ish

My 9.9 yanaha wasn't any lighter if I remember. If I could have a motor a bit more powerful if I ever needed it, I would too.

Nick

Making your storeies, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

I removed my port side battery and mounted the kicker there. The kicker is easily started manually and can charge my battery. Never a problem with battery voltage for the riggers and electronics now. On my roller trailer the port side sometimes comes on favoring the port side due to the kicker there but not a problem for years now.