FG Knot Help!

I've been trying to tie the recently popular FG or GT knot and it's been driving me insane. Trying to tie this knot has given me migraines. I've seen all the YouTube videos on how to tie it. I do exactly what the videos show but the problem is with my wraps. When wrapping the line the knot is forming from left to right when it should be forming in the up & down position. I wrap the leader line around the main line and pull it straight exactly how it shows in the videos. The knot should form from the up & down position with ease what the hell am I doing wrong? My mainline (braid) is tight so it's not that. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using very thin diameter braid like Nanobraid and that's why the loops aren't forming correctly and this knot is only meant for regular thicker braids? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I noticed that while tying a uni-knot when using 30# power pro to 20# Berkeley big game the power pro was hard to get the wraps to lay nice 1 in front of the other, and then when you went to pull the not tight the braid would not follow suit. I had to pull the braid back apart to make a nice inline tubular knot. If the braid didn't go right when you tested the knot the braid cut the mono off. Some went good other didn't, to the point I didn't trust the knot. There's where I put a Spro swivel in its place  :lol: I haven't figured it out yet!! I watched every video and the animated knot site. Mono to mono is great but one size to the other, I don't know, I gave up. :envy:

Don't give up on this knot! The FG is THE KNOT for a castable leader. As far as what you are doing wrong id say you are doing something backwards! If you are in the Binghamton area I can show you how to tie it...Don't think I can explain it tho! Keep practicing it's quite easy once you get the hang of it and it works with the thinnest braid up the 65lb braid for sure based on my tests. Ive tied it twice in the dark on a windy night recently just to practice under the conditions I work under AND haven't had a failure. In fact we have had several snags and my leader is breaking at the terminal end and not at the FG knot.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Well at first I thought the name of the knot was appropriate F'N,G Knot

.                                                                                           F'en no Good .                                                                                                     :swear:  :headbang:

I hear you Justin not only is it super low profile but it's super strong the line breaks before the knot ever gives. You may be right I might be doing my wraps backwards? I never get to Binghamton but maybe I'll take a picture of what's going on.

Flybuster I would be using this knot for casting otherwise I would just use an Albright knot or swivel. It would also be going on two rods with micro guides which is why I wanted to go to this knot.

1 hour ago, flybuster said:

Swivel is why I was asking but I just attempted the knot a few times what lb floro are you tying in. I tried with 8lb and struggled went to 17 and it was quite easy maybe try with something heavy for practice IMG_1485653040.556606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice job, maybe your onto something, I'll try that till my eyes burn, and then I get sweaty!!  :swear::headbang:

I made a little jig to tie it at home and when I use it I have plenty of tension when doing the wraps, but I've done it river side and had hardly any tension and it works if you cinch it down correctly.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Thanks for the video flybuster! Maybe my problem is having the leader and braid too tight? From all the videos I've seen they said to have the braid tight and didn't really mention how tight the leader line should be I'll try loosening things up.

Edited by EyeSlayer

There is a few wraps where he picks up the mono, then at the end it just using the same wrap to the right with just the braid I think it looks as if your not picking up the mono for those 5 wraps before it just uses  just the braid? Don't take my words to the bank but I have. 2 iPads I froze on that fram while I watch the video,?? I have to count the wraps of every step to make sure.  

I thought the braid was supposed to be tight though??? I'll try to loosen it up. What's happening and where the problem is occurring is after each wrap the line is binding while pulling it straight before the next wrap. I have to really finagle the leader line back & fourth a few times to get it to wrap correctly. I'll actually feel a click if you will when the leader line goes where it should and gets harder & harder to do the more wraps there are.