Fishing with wire help.

J-Lopez

I'm new to trolling this upcoming season will be my second. I'm looking at getting some wire setups. First question is wire divers, is a snubber recommended? Next is as far as copper. When trolling copper do I put on as much copper as it can hold and let out as depth requires. Or does a rod have to be set up with a specific amount of copper for depth so I'm into the backing. Is attaching copper to boards or inlines ok or should it be attached to backing? Sorry if these are odd questions but I'm new to this and love trying new techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Snubbers are not needed as long as you use quality Florocarbon as a leader.  As for copper, you can buy a couple rods in different copper lengths and run them for the depth they achieve.  You can run them off of boards (both big boards or TX44 boards) or down the chute.  I do not run them on inlines but some guys do.  As for attaching them to the releases on the boards, I splice in 6' of 50lb mono to clip my releases to. 

I don't use snubbers either. And when setting up a wire diver rod, make your flouro leader no longer than your rod. When the dipsy (if you're using them) gets to the rod tip, tip up and have rod man back up to net the fish. And to add to the copper... Gambler suggested multiple rods because to do want to deploy all of the copper on a given rod. I'm pretty new to copper as well (going from advice from knowledgeable guys). I run a 450 down the chute.

• 5 months later...

I ran my a 300 and 400 for the first time off boards. Seemed to work well thought I had a hit but turned out to be garbage on the board. I brought it in when it got rough, started to worry about tangles. Any advice on avoiding tangles when running a rigger dipsy and board?

I set the copper out first and worked my way in but I can see if you have to let it back out while your dipsy is out. Copper seems challenging but I can see how useful it can be.

Typically your coppers are longer than the amount of line out for your dipsey to achieve the same depth thus your copper will be further back. As mentioned I let the copper out slow down the chute, give it time to settle and then put it on the board. It will ride high over your dipsey and into place.

Typically your coppers are longer than the amount of line out for your dipsey to achieve the same depth thus your copper will be further back. As mentioned I let the copper out slow down the chute, give it time to settle and then put it on the board. It will ride high over your dipsey and into place.

Thank you. Than makes sense. When that copper has a fish on or thought to have, I go right to the center of the boat or stay to the side until the board is off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most of the time when you bring the board to the boat the fish will stay straight behind the boat. There are times though when I'll pull that side dipsey to make room just to remove the chance of tangling. 

Is it safe to run a copper in the chute while running Dipsy's on the side and riggers as well? Or is this asking for tangle troubles when say, you're fighting a fish on a Dipsy in the center of the boat? Best to reel in the copper first?
Thanks!
Mike

I always run dipseys and some days I'll run just a chute copper instead of one each side off boards. When I get a fish on though the first thing I do is get that copper up and out of the way. 

Edited by Firechief48

Ok thanks Chief, what I figured! Lol! Going to be nothing short of a Chinese Firedrill for me the first time I (hopefully) hook a salmon and want to try to eliminate as many train wrecks as possible until I get some experience! Appreciate the advice! 

Mike

Hmmm. I fish alone allot. When a fish is hooked I don't have the option to reel in other lines. I have to just fight the fish and Hope for the best. So far not too many bad tangles. But, I keep the boat trolling along the whole time.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app