Salmon Showdown ?

I shot them a message a couple of weeks ago, here is their response.

"The new season won't be on pursuit but it will be on Carbon TV. Episodes will start coming out in feb. go to www.carbontv.com and search salmon showdown. Thanks!"

I'm looking forward to the new season too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 minutes ago, fishmaster13184 said:

Just watched a bunch of the show and it got me wondering, do most people keep every single fish they catch?

When tournament fishing, yes! The tournaments that the Salmon Showdown are filming are the 333 tournaments. They run at the same time as the main tournament is happening from that port. 333 is almost like a side bet and they are obviously only 3 fish tournaments. The main tournament however may be a 12 fish limit format over 2 days.

The interesting evolution of the salmon fishing downward spiral on Lake Michigan due to two bad winters and overstocking is on display as you move thru the years of the 333 tournament.  Nice boxes of  Kings in the early years of the 333 to slim pickin's in the later versions. 

I think it has more to do with the density of Lakers and year to year fluctuations in the contributions of natural fish in their fishery. Talk to some of those guys Gill T, its very enlightening. The 2 bad winters definitely but if it was stocking density you would not have seen such a sharp decline between 2013(big Kings) and last season. The culprit is the Laker agenda, but its not the Lake trout as a species fault.

King fishing has become tougher than ever in my lifetime the last few seasons. Sparatic is the best term last year one day you could catch 12 kings the next 3 days struggle to catch 2 or 1. It has taken its toll on participation as anglers are struggling to put fish in the box. With that said there are some bright spots last year my home port tourney the Sheboygan Salmon cup took the largest 10 king catch for 2 days in its history. Day two the winners had 95# and change for 5. This has created some excitement around tournament fishing on Lake Michigan 

Utube it is, I like the 55" TV screen better. To me that was one of the best fishing shows out there.

Tired of only seeing bass fishing on the weekends. They where the only show on the great lakes fishery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gill-T said:

First two episodes are up on Carbon TV.  Lake Trout Yeeeeewhoooo!

It still baffles me on who caught up the Lake Michigan boats are on dodgers and spin n glos.  If they only knew how much more effective cowbells and spin n glos are.  Instead of dedicating one rod of a king spread, they could pend one hour with two cowbells down and catch more lakers late day when the king bite slows. 

3 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

It still baffles me on who caught up the Lake Michigan boats are on dodgers and spin n glos.  If they only knew how much more effective cowbells and spin n glos are.  Instead of dedicating one rod of a king spread, they could pend one hour with two cowbells down and catch more lakers late day when the king bite slows. 

That's what I did last year, fish kings till the last 2 hours and then send down 2 sets of cowbells with your rigs and drop the dipsys down deep with spin dr and fly and slay the lakers

56 minutes ago, Missdemeanor said:

I run two cow bell spin glow rigs, and two divers with dodger flies for Kings.... At the slow speeds, those license plates work mint.

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me too Matt.  I just don't get the running dodgers and spin n glows while king fishing when you are wasting king rods during the morning bite.  Target your kings first then do a dedicated laker spread (two rods with cowbells is all you need) and then but some king stuff out.

I run cores and coppers over divers because I find they can get in the way.  I have one too many big greasers get into the wire dunring the chaos of the laker shuffle on my boat.  Much easier to do on a boat that is bigger.  I will at times run a dodger and spin n glo off a core or copper for lakers while I'm laker fishing but it is WAY more effective to run two sets of cowbells and target them.  Two rods with cowbells and spin n glos at 1.2-1.8 mph will out fish a 9 rod spread of dodgers and spin n glos ANY day.  I sent a Go Pro video to a customer from Michigan to show him how fast and furious it can be.  He sees the light now and dumped the dodger and spin n glo spread for the cowbell and spin n glo set up. 

Gambler,

I tend to disagree with you here to some extent. Some of the better tournament fisherman in Michigan have figured out that chrome spin doctors with spin n glos work great at 2.0-2.2 mph for lakers which obviously still allows you to fish kings effectively at that speed. The problem with not putting any laker rods down in a tourney on the first pass or two is your letting the competition pick off the easy hot fish that are biting but more important the fish become spooky as the traffic gets thick. As far as cowbells go imo and only my opinion they have their days but there def not BETTER then  dodgers and spin n glos all the time especially after the traffic has got to the fish. The cowbell setup is a close to the downrigger ball setup which is an agressive bite setup guys who would fish kings early and then rely on cowbells off downriggers in my experience would get beat in most scenerios by the guys that are fishing a much more stealthy program for trout 

Russell,

I fish lakers a lot on Lake Ontario spent hundreds over hours fishing lakers and find that cowbells and spin n glos out produce spin doctors / spin n glos and dodgers / spin n glows BY FAR.  If boat traffic slows the bite on lakers, this is the time cowbells excel.  You are slowing it down and putting it in their face with cowbells trolled slow.  There are ways to run king stuff while laker fishing.  You have to modify spoons by bending them to get the right action and running lighter stuff.  We fish kings until the bite slows (usually 10-11am) and then switch over to lakers and catch them with ease.  Check out the LOC Derby lake trout board.  It is dominated every summer by cowbells and spin n glos.  If you want bigger lakers, cowbells are the way to go. 

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

You don't need cowbells to catch lakers in the spring, but I agree they would do well to have a cowbell set on the bottom rigger and run the rest of the spread as a slow meat-king spread.  You have to be over fish however.  These guys are competing for the host tournament which pays as much as 333 champion from what I can tell.  If you are not over fish, you are going to die a slow death trying to get 12 fish at 1.5 mph.