for sale : usa Wanted: walleye boards

I run both, the walleye boards and the 22's. I feel like the 22's plane out to the side better, making for a better, more organized(less tangles) spread. I always run 6-8 lines, with 6 being planer lines. I wish the walleye boards would get further away from the boat like the 22's do. They just seem to lag more, is all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, steelydan said:

I only pull leadcore but in his fifth post he said he wants to pull slide divers and 50/50 weight system, that's why I told him the tattles would be pulled down by either making them useless

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, Landshark said:

Yes that's a lot of drag

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

With the 50/50 method, pulling 1\2-1oz weight with small stick, 4' diving crank, or spinner 100' back of the board, would still be too much pull for flag tension ? On honeyoye and the river @10-15 ft deep. Using 12# mono & 15# power pro braid.

Why don't you go with big boards, I have the little yellow ones maid by offshore tackle I use these on home town lakes when fishing eyes tight against shore. I built my own from plans I got from here, I adjusted the angle and shortened them up. They work flawless and I never looked back, I can pull a light weight walleye harness to 10 color cores with 3 other divers attached, they pull like a mule, and in 3fters without them flipping over. Being a little handy you can buy planer reels off here, there was a set on here just a little while ago, I made my own masts and had the cannon mast that I used the brake and reel set up for each side. Either the fingers or the big pond they will work. I have used my big boards in skinny waters of LakeO. Just some food for thought??

With the 50/50 method, pulling 1\2-1oz weight with small stick, 4' diving crank, or spinner 100' back of the board, would still be too much pull for flag tension ? On honeyoye and the river @10-15 ft deep. Using 12# mono & 15# power pro braid.

you can adjust the tension on tattle flags for that amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, pap said:

Why don't you go with big boards, I have the little yellow ones maid by offshore tackle I use these on home town lakes when fishing eyes tight against shore. I built my own from plans I got from here, I adjusted the angle and shortened them up. They work flawless and I never looked back, I can pull a light weight walleye harness to 10 color cores with 3 other divers attached, they pull like a mule, and in 3fters without them flipping over. Being a little handy you can buy planer reels off here, there was a set on here just a little while ago, I made my own masts and had the cannon mast that I used the brake and reel set up for each side. Either the fingers or the big pond they will work. I have used my big boards in skinny waters of LakeO. Just some food for thought??

Where I troll the most for walleye, the mean depth is 18' and 30' at its deepest point. Where I troll for bows/browns/Lakers is 70-90' at its deepest. Also I fish warm water species most of the time, but there are trout and walleye there as well and may decide to drop the casting rods & go troll I'm sticking with braid & and purchasing okuma planer rods. Not interested in running wire. Thanks for input tho

9 minutes ago, King Slammin said:

you can adjust the tension on tattle flags for that amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah that's what I thought too. I have the minis and used them last year but they don't handle much more than 6' crank,stickbait,or light spinners,. They do OK with spoons too. But just need to cover top 30' of water column and 22's seem like they will do well for that. Below 30' I'm using dipsy divers. Best example I can give is Canadice lake. Its called "bathtub" for good reason. Can run planers on top water column on one side of the boat and dipsys off the back. Covering offshore structure. That's the plan anyway...lol

Edited by moonfish

Either way you could accomplish this with a set of big boards, I use mine to pull skinny waters with 2-3/8" spoons and 2-5ft divers and on the opposite side pull flutter spoons with snap weights or semi deep divers, 12-15ft plugs. One set up does it all?? To each there own I'm no way saying "this is the only way" if a brown hits it will release or a smallie, which on the northern side of Galloo their a pain in the arsh. :lol:

You would be fine with that set up and tattles. Slide divers or long leadcores would pull the flags down, to much drag. If you use too much snap weights it will also

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

6 minutes ago, pap said:

Either way you could accomplish this with a set of big boards, I use mine to pull skinny waters with 2-3/8" spoons and 2-5ft divers and on the opposite side pull flutter spoons with snap weights or semi deep divers, 12-15ft plugs. One set up does it all?? To each there own I'm no way saying "this is the only way" if a brown hits it will release or a smallie, which on the northern side of Galloo their a pain in the arsh. :lol:

Yeah we're talking same language here. The pro weight system consists of snap weight up to 3oz. Nice thing about the weights is they are 99% lead free. If I lose one its pretty safe to environment. Have you seen Romanaks 50/50 method on YouTube ? 1st time I saw it I thought that's a good place to start for someone like myself with minimal experience. Comes with chart for weights, different speeds as well. Fun watching him catch walleye too...lol. 

But for where I fish in western finger lakes, which are some of the smallest/shallowest, I think these techniques fit them and my personal style best. Here's my boat. I have another bass seat I put in when I don't bring the cooler

IMG_20160923_122822.jpg

The flags can certainly handle deep diving cranks. I tried a set and they work fine if there aren't any floating weeds. The whole battle of trolling the smaller finger lakes is floating weeds. I deal with them daily and whatever strategy you intend to employ you have to be able to troll through them to some extent. I

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

I run a pair of Opti tackles boards and a pair of 22's I have flags on both and modified them so that fish on the flags are up. Hard to believe but the opti's are very good especially at 19.99 with the flags. I pull lead core and 50/50. https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/opti-tackle-ultimate-planer-board-with-spring-flag-system/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

41 minutes ago, SylvanTroller said:

I run a pair of Opti tackles boards and a pair of 22's I have flags on both and modified them so that fish on the flags are up. Hard to believe but the opti's are very good especially at 19.99 with the flags. I pull lead core and 50/50. https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/opti-tackle-ultimate-planer-board-with-spring-flag-system/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They hold up to 3 oz ? Do they stay out away from boat ?