My Old Boat

J.D.

My Old Boat

Having a bit of time to myself today in this cold weather, I thought I would share the latest project on my old boat. 1996 Starcraft  17 footer. 20 year old nasty, smelly, worn out carpet. Time to rip it out !

IMG_0534.JPG

Pulled the center floor section out completely to get a look at the fuel tank and under floor structure.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

Starting to lay in the new heavy non skid vinyl from Great lakes Skipper. The only seam is under the front seat pedestal bases.  The center section was wrapped separately and Installed. No seams on the sidewalls, one piece up to the rod lockers.

IMG_0540.JPG

Very happy with the finished product.

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

Nice pics and Great Job! I hope this inspires someone to do this job on their own rig. I did it 5 years ago, but also had to replace all of the plywood. As long as I was going to go that far, I coated top and bottom (2 coats on the edges) all wood with West System epoxy. Added about $75 to the cost, but great insurance against further rot. Old plywood was so rotten it peeled away from the back of the carpet which allowed me to reuse it. Looks good, not rot or smell, but I feel it was a BIG mistake. New nonslip vinyl is the way to go for a fishing boat and I should have done it when the floor was already prepped.

Looks Great!  Good Job... Im going to do the same thing at some point in time to my Starcraft Fishmaster, but I have vinyl and its going to be tricky!  All of the vinyl on my boat is wrapped around the edges of the metal of course so therefore many rivets will need to be drilled out to access certain areas.  Id love to talk to someone who has actually done it on a similar boat.

Nice Job!

Jim

Work2fish, that non skid vinyl comes off of rolls usually in 6' widths. It is glued on topside and stapled on underside of panels that you remove. I'm sure most marine catalogs carry it but Cabela's did the last time I ordered.

It's just called non skid vinyl? I am doing my boat interior this winter after tapping season end. And am torn between vinyl and carpet. I like idea of carpet but don't wait it to hold water. My boat is a family boat I fish out of. So swimming is always done in it. So getting in and out soaked is common...and any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stoneam2006, you can towel dry it if you wish, but by its very design it has good traction when wet. On days when you would actually consider swimming, it will dry fast via sunlight. In all cases, it will not absorb water like carpet, and dry much faster.

Thank you I requested some samples off online retailer to see what I'm working with. Appreciate the info

That is a beautiful time consuming job.

I did it with my islander ,but I used the wrong glue and I had to tear it all out again.

For now I am thinking of a garage floor mat that I saw in Costco,

It is a heavy duty vinyl that comes in a 7.5 by 17 roll for $149. I won't even glue it down . Just cut the right size and lay it in there.

Edited by rolmops

It's just called non skid vinyl? I am doing my boat interior this winter after tapping season end. And am torn between vinyl and carpet. I like idea of carpet but don't wait it to hold water. My boat is a family boat I fish out of. So swimming is always done in it. So getting in and out soaked is common...and any suggestions?

I hate my carpet. Covered in Salmon slime, blood stains and holds water. I will for sure replace to the vinyl. Just looking at cost and whether I can do it or not myself.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I hate my carpet. Covered in Salmon slime, blood stains and holds water. I will for sure replace to the vinyl. Just looking at cost and whether I can do it or not myself.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea I was looking at prices today...looks like between 6 and 12 bucks a linear foot on 6 or 8.5 wide

Thanks for all the compliments.

Two important things about this project:

GET SAMPLES!  not all the "non skid marine vinyl" out there is non skid. I used the stuff Cabelas sells for another project, and is slippery when wet compared to the stuff I put down.

I used Decrite MariDeck 25Mil vinyl, the color I used is call "kingfisher"  81/2' x 10' delivered was $136.00

There are many products and vendors out there, so get the free samples and decide for yourself.

Marine vinyl flooring has a "grain" much like carpet. If you install the pieces every which way, you will see it in the finished product. I marked each piece I cut with an arrow on the back pointing to the bow so they would lay facing the same way. Indoor / outdoor carpet glue from the home center has always worked for me.  

Running the vinyl across the floor and up the sidewall in one piece was a challenge, but worth the effort. Cut oversize and trim as you go. Slow and steady works best .

Thanks for all the compliments.
Two important things about this project:

GET SAMPLES!  not all the "non skid marine vinyl" out there is non skid. I used the stuff Cabelas sells for another project, and is slippery when wet compared to the stuff I put down.
I used Decrite MariDeck 25Mil vinyl, the color I used is call "kingfisher"  81/2' x 10' delivered was $136.00
There are many products and vendors out there, so get the free samples and decide for yourself.

Marine vinyl flooring has a "grain" much like carpet. If you install the pieces every which way, you will see it in the finished product. I marked each piece I cut with an arrow on the back pointing to the bow so they would lay facing the same way. Indoor / outdoor carpet glue from the home center has always worked for me.  

Running the vinyl across the floor and up the sidewall in one piece was a challenge, but worth the effort. Cut oversize and trim as you go. Slow and steady works best .

Awesome advice thanks

I did my old boat 3 years ago, but i did the whole thing, took all winter. I went through lots of carpet and glue. i like the vinyl better than the carpet, when I bought my new boat I got it with the vinyl. heres what the old boat looked like when i was done.

20141111_112439.jpg

20141111_112544.jpg

20141111_112638.jpg

20141111_112647.jpg

20141111_112659.jpg