Burbot

EsoxAC3

They spawn under the ice and late ice on Oneida is a good time to catch them. I have never targeted them but I always catch at least one every year. They hit walleye stuff and perch stuff, they are pretty aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2X

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Its the best fish out of Lake Michigan besides coho.  Have to be really careful cleaning them.  Take only the white meat from the backstraps and do not let anything touch skin when you skin them.  Cut into cubes and boil in sugar water or 7up and water.  Boiling them gets the rest of the oil out of them.  Cook them till the float, season a bit, and then dip in melted butter when you eat them.  

On 2/3/2017 at 11:43 AM, fisherdude said:

any one try them as table fare ? only caught them threw the ice on oneida lake  and i consider them to a garbage fish . i called a them a  ling , didn't know them as burbot fish .

I don't know why Oneida fishermen hate burbot so much. Throwing them on the ice is just a waste, they're great eating and they aren't hurting anything. Check out this article.

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2013/02/oneida_lakes_burbot_get_little.html

That article on Burbot was extremely well written as  well as entertaining. Always great to see something that holds your interest like that.:yes:

I don't know why Oneida fishermen hate burbot so much. Throwing them on the ice is just a waste, they're great eating and they aren't hurting anything. Check out this article.
http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2013/02/oneida_lakes_burbot_get_little.html

Exactly, throwing them on the ice does not accomplish anything. It is a very old school mentality. When I was a kid they would be all over the ice. I always throw them back. Wasting any fish is not okay in my book.

15 hours ago, Chowdaire said:
16 hours ago, reeleyz said:

Exactly, throwing them on the ice does not accomplish anything. It is a very old school mentality. When I was a kid they would be all over the ice. I always throw them back. Wasting any fish is not okay in my book.

Not even white perch? They test my sportsmanship.

Well using white perch for fertilizer isn't exactly wasting them. :)

Up this way they are called lawyers, slimy, ugly, bottom feeders that wrap themselves around you,  Not much of a fillet on the small ones.  I always soak them in salt water to pull the blood out.  Minnesotans go a little goofy over them.  Call them eelpout and have ice derbies targeting them.  There is a hoop net season on a couple of rivers in the westcentral UP,  I have some buds that net them under the ice.  They like the livers.  Claim the livers have aphrodisiac powers.  The fish have a big liver that's for sure.  I haven't been able to convince myself to eat the livers.  I consider them in the same food class as sweetbreads.

• 2 weeks later...