I/o to outboard - set back bracket

FishingTheFL

Tried to find info on setback packets, what their purpose is for and how far back to have to set the motor tone effective. I figure they were meant to stop splash back onto the outboard? Couldn't find any specific info on its purpose. I have a tri hull that we pulled a motor out of and I'm interesting in filling the hole and putting this outboard I got kicking around on it. Thanks for any info

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lucky Enuff 2.0 Restoration & Outboard Conversion

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/58435-Lucky-Enuff-2%2E0-Restoration-%26-Outboard-Conversion

This gentlmen did a conversion and did an amazing job, he has some good info there and I believe captain carl bish did a conversion too. I would think the thread would be back a couple months but I think it's under a center console transform or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Didn't really explain why the set back bracket is used, our how to figure out how far back to set the motor.

Sounds like it connects to knee braces to distribute pressure. The tri hull is bigger then the bass boat the motor came off of. Couldn't I just fill the holes glass over top and then put the motor on?

The set back is 29 inches, if you go onto the brackets website, they claim the set back is determined by the amount of water the motor needs not to cavitate plus the room it takes to tilt forward and not hit anything .   :whew:

They lay a framing square along the bottom of the boat, the 2ft length along the bottom in the exact middle, then they slide the square inward till the 1ft side hits the transome. Then there is a formula to use with the amount of space from the bottom of the boat to where the square hits. Then that determines where the bracket goes and the motor. I don't know what the formula is, also they take into consideration the HP of motor and the size boat, because they will do a hole shot and it better not cavitate!!. My mom lived in Florida right next to a marina, it seems like it's outboard city down there, I used to watch the guys at the shop a lot!! and I asked questions to the workers, just to make conversation. I couldn't stand the azz hole guy my mom was with, Mr. Been there Done that:envy:

On 1/31/2017 at 6:38 AM, FishingTheFL said:

I did. Their wasn't much explaining the purpose or how far back or the reason for the distance.

Main reason is to be able to trim the motor all the way up. Most motors need around 24" of set back some more some less. If you don't have enough setback the cowl will hit the transom. Easiest way to determine the setback is to measure the motor trimmed all the way up from the pivot point to the top of the cowl furthest from the pivot point.

Edited by Chas0218

• 3 months later...