torpedo weighted steel line

torpedo weighted steel line

I've been looking at weighted steel line to replace copper. I can't find a depth chart. Does anyone know, is it out 100 -down 20 like copper? Has anyone used it & do you like it? Can I tie it to mono using an Albright Knot?        Thanks for any advice in advance.  The line I'm talking about is Torpedo Weighted Steel. I think it something new?

Swing over to the questions about trolling section.. lots of threads. Here is one that jumps out. Most guys run wire with dipseys off to side, copper sink ratio is much higher than wire by itself

or this is a good thread as well

Edited by salmonite

Matthew at Torpedo claims that the weighted steel sink rate is comparable to the same size copper. 

I ran 300' of 60lb weighted steel last year and it is much easier to handle than copper, less tendency to bird nest and untangles as easy as Matthew shows on his you tube video. I can't verify the depth but the catch rate was similar to copper. 

An Albright knot would work or Torpedo has a video showing a different splice using some heat shrink tubing which works well also.  You can't use a haywire twist like you can with copper.  It seems very strong and won't kink, I don't think you'll have any break offs with it.

Overall I like the way it handles, especially when I have inexperienced people aboard, and I will probably buy more when I need to but I won't be replacing any existing copper setups with it right away

The torpedo weighted steel line comes in either 200 foot or 300 foot rolls. the 200 foot goes down 40 feet and the 300 is 60. If you use 19 strand 30 pound wire behind it, the sinking rate will remain the same. So 200 feet of weighted steel plus 200 feet of 19 strand will get you down to 80 feet and so on. Four hundred feet of copper is usually quite a job to reel back in, but this setup is lighter and easier to reel in. On the other hand,the fish will fight harder because they don't have to fight the heavier copper.

Edited by rolmops

12 hours ago, rolmops said:

The torpedo weighted steel line comes in either 200 foot or 300 foot rolls. the 200 foot goes down 40 feet and the 300 is 60. If you use 19 strand 30 pound wire behind it, the sinking rate will remain the same. So 200 feet of weighted steel plus 200 feet of 19 strand will get you down to 80 feet and so on. Four hundred feet of copper is usually quite a job to reel back in, but this setup is lighter and easier to reel in. On the other hand,the fish will fight harder because they don't have to fight the heavier copper.

There is absolutely no way 200' of weighted steel line plus an additional 200' of 19 strand wire will be down 80 feet without some sort of drop weight. Absolutely no way

Edited by momay4000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, momay4000 said:

There is absolutely no way 200' of weighted steel line plus an additional 200' of 19 strand wire will be down 80 feet without some sort of drop weight. Absolutely no way

That is exactly what I thought, but between the weight and the very thin diameter of the 19 strand it does exactly that.

Not sure how or if this relates to the queston, but back in the day, 15-20 years ago, I used to troll, running 600ft of steel marked every 25ft and then with a 25-30ft mono leader, flat lining, for spring salmon on Lake Champlain. We'd drag small needle fish or speedy shiners or tandem flies and caught many a fish. We figured each 25 ft section would get us down about 5 - 7ft per section. This was at a trolling speed of 2.0-2.4 mph. I've never run copper so I can't compare to that.

Thanks and Boat Safe

Egoody

Guys we have sold a ton of the weighted steel now and most anglers seem very happy with it. Seems there are two small drawbacks.

1. Shimano Talora copper rods dont like it but all others do..

2. Its harder to mend then copper 

Other than those two seems most prefer it over copper. We sell it in the 200,300 ft spools but we also have bulk spools and can load any amount u want.

I had issues with kinking &  birds nests  as a newbie with copper setups.In 2016 I saw an ad for torpedo weighted steel line online & I went to Niagara show to buy the weighted steel. It looked flawless in the advertisement, wouldn't kink at all. I went to booth & asked the guy to demo attaching line to backer. I watched the factory rep attach & heat shrink tubing with lighter. It looked simple enough but the connection failed & I was able to pull it apart by hand. He attempted two more times & it still failed. This process took at least 20 minutes. My easy fix looked like it would be more problems then it solved. I walked down the same aisle & found the Bloodrun super copper booth. I ran the super copper with great success with no problems or kinking at all. I think it is way easier to attach & run.JMO as a relative rookie using copper line.

I personally run a lot of coppers or leadcores not on boards for walleyed on Erie and Ontario kings. If the depth chart is correct and using the 200 steel with the wire backing can get you down to 80ft that is awesome. Is that the case?  Does it really get down that deep? I would love to replace my coppers with two steel wire setups. 

I think it is way easier to attach & run.JMO as a relative rookie using copper line.

Copper May be a little easier to attach, but definitely not easier to run. Weighted Steel is by far the most fisherman friendly weighted line available. Used the shrink tubing method and ran 200', every trip and 300 almost every trip. Never one problem. Including a huge tangle with a leadcore that would have ruined any copper. Layed out on my boat floor and untangled it all without one kink. Will be adding couple shorter steels 100, 50' for sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can you patch the steel together for added length to get deeper or when it gets hung up? Do you think it gets as deep? I have had mixed reports as most information I have gotten disputes depth chart!

I have patched the steel with a combination of 3 barrel crimps, hay twists in between and heat shrink (3/32) covering it all. It still goes through the levelwind guide easily. With 1/8 heat shrink it tends to start hanging up.

I want to sort of correct my mistake in word choice I didnt mean "mend" as in the sense of the word. The better word to describe my thoughts and experiences is terminate. It is more difficult to terminate then copper.

So far it appears to do everything Torpedo says it does and more....

I believe this will be a good product option for many who chose to utilize it. 

I run mine off board, tx44 with the better church clips. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How much are you running? And does the tx-44 pull well? I have one that was struggling with a 300 copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United