knots in steel wire

rolmops

knots in steel wire

I did some experimenting with the 19 strand wire and how to connect it to other line.

The first thing  I did with a new 1000 foot 19 strand roll was a line test. I took a big empty reel and while reeling the wire from one reel to the other I let it run between my fingers. That was a smart thing to do because I found three damaged sections on a brand new $43 roll of 19 strand line. I cut them out and retied the line. I knotted it back together with tiny spro 50 pound test swivels using a mix between a palomar and a hay twist covered with 3/64 heat shrink tubing to prevent the twists from untwisting. So far so good. Although I am not at all happy with the poor quality control on the 19 strand wire.Next I connected the 19 strand to the weighted steel line ,using an 80 pound barrel swivel that will easily go through the guides. First I tried the knot with the heat shrink tubing that Torpedo has on its website,but although the knot is strong and holds well it has a problem going through the levelwind guide on my penn 345 levelwind. So I just used some barrel crimps (three in a row) with twisted wire in between and covered these with 3/32 heat shrink tubing. It holds well and goes easily through the guides. That is as far as I got. I'll inform you guys how it holds up with a salmon on the other end.

Edited by rolmops

I had a similar issue with a new roll of Malin steel wire. I called them to explain what i found and they sent me a new roll at no cost.

Great company to do business with.

What is the web site you used to get the splice knot from? Torpedo?

Boat Safe

Egoody

Used Albright knots on every termination last year on my 19strand /weighted steel set up. Zero issues after multiple matures ...only issue I had was ordering a pre spooled reel of the 19 strand and weighted steel so I didn't have to mess with knots....the first time in water the leader to steel knot came undone and I lost a slasher paddle and meat rig ...first and last time i buy a prespooled reel, but I went threw and re tied all the knots and it has been a Stud since

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I had to give up after my first season trying wire line (last summer). After losing a number of expensive rigs: flasher $15, Chinook Diver $20, Lure $8, boom $40 bucks a crack!  I had enough. It seems the line would get get kinked, or twist, or tangled into my other lines, and what a mess. Not worth it, to me, literally. I use braid on my dipseys. I have a rod with blood run flea line if I need it. But, I am new to the salmon fishing so I was probably doing something wrong. But, I am NOT new to fishing, including fly fishing with all the required knots, since I was in my teens, so I am not so sure.

I had to give up after my first season trying wire line (last summer). After losing a number of expensive rigs: flasher $15, Chinook Diver $20, Lure $8, boom $40 bucks a crack!  I had enough. It seems the line would get get kinked, or twist, or tangled into my other lines, and what a mess. Not worth it, to me, literally. I use braid on my dipseys. I have a rod with blood run flea line if I need it. But, I am new to the salmon fishing so I was probably doing something wrong. But, I am NOT new to fishing, including fly fishing with all the required knots, since I was in my teens, so I am not so sure.

You were definitely doing something wrong. This will be my 6th season on 4 of my diver rods spoiled with 1000' of 19 strand torpedo wire. I only trim off 10-15' of pigtailed wire each spring, use Fish Doctors wire line knot with an overhand knot to seat the tag end and I'm good for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United