New rifle..... 7mm 08......

thumbburn

I'm still waiting on a .257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard Accuguard that was bought back in December. I've heard great things about the .257 Weatherby Magnum cartridge . It's lights out on deer and a laser beam out to 500 yards or more. From what I've read recoil is about that of a .270 or slightly less. Don't have the gun yet so I can only go by what I've read. 

Negatives are it's only available in Weatherby and Remington 700 guns I believe. Also the ammo is extremely expensive and extremely hard to find and has to be special ordered cause no one carries it. Not a deal breaker for me because I won't be shooting it much I'll be lucky if I shoot more than 5-10 rounds a year after sight in. 

Its not.  And its 60*.  Im not by any means saying the bolt on the american compares to the bolt on one of my high end hawkeye, browning micro's, or a 700bdl but for a "hunting" rifle its great.  When you pull the bolt out on the Mossberg Patriot and wiggle back and forth theres definitely play.  The ruger American doesnt.

Jim

6 minutes ago, EyeSlayer said:

I'm still waiting on a .257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard Accuguard that was bought back in December. I've heard great things about the .257 Weatherby Magnum cartridge . It's lights out on deer and a laser beam out to 500 yards or more. From what I've read recoil is about that of a .270 or slightly less. Don't have the gun yet so I can only go by what I've read. 

Negatives are it's only available in Weatherby guns and Remington 700 I believe. Also the ammo is extremely expensive and extremely hard to find and has to be special ordered cause no one carries it. Not a deal breaker for me because I won't be shooting it much I'll be lucky if I shoot more than 5-10 rounds a year after sight in. 

That little caliber is sweet also.  The only negative is the ones you provided.  I like to have guns that ammo and reloading supplies are readily accessible.  Not only that but the 257 weatherby mag uses much more powder than the 708 at similar velocities.  For 3200 ft per second and a 120 grain bullet you would be looking at 64 grains with the 257 vs. 42 grains with the 708.  

Yeah that's right Jim. That 120 grain is the biggest factory load for the .257 and slowest also. I'll be shooting the 110 grain Nosler Accubonds out of mine at 3460 fps. The Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets are flying at almost 3900 fps!!!  I think those would take a deer no problem as well. 

I bought a Remington Model 7 CDL.  My wife claimed it.  Its a handy little gun from a ground blind.  The slender barrel heats up and starts to wander after two shots, first two are good, don't remember shooting more than twice .  I found a bunch of Nosler 140 gr solid base bullets and put them on top of some Varget.  Also have some Barnes 140 gr TSX over Varget that work well on bear.  Remington reduced recoil loads for grankids.

Its an easy gun to look at.

You're not gonna get to 3200 with a 120 grain bullet in the 08. Lucky to see 3000. Not knocking the 08 it's a very versatile round. The 257 is in a class of its own as a deer, antelope or sheep gun with 110 to 120 grain bullets. The 08 does alot of stuff fairly well, the 257 weatherby does what it does very well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have several rifles in 7-08 and love them all. I have a Kimber select classic and several Savages. Can't beat the Savage hunter topped with a Nikon for $500. I handload 139 hornadys for myself and 120's for my daughter who has a Savage Axis II with the weaver scope $400.  All are sub MOA. I have shot deer out to 300 yards with zero issues. The last doe I shot was the farthest at just over 300 and part of her heart was actually hanging out of the exit wound but she did run about seventy yards. Everyone has a preference but this is by far my favorite deer cartridge. Very easy to handload for and if you buy a Hornady press you get everything you need minus powder primers and you get 500 free bullets. Fun cartridge and you can definately really reduce the recoil loading your own.

I load the hornady 139gr hornady sst for most of my hunting as chuck has indicated. When I'm hunting something bigger or go west I always load Barnes ttsx or nosler accubonds. I didn't want this to get into some passing match about calibers. I'm simply stating my results and versatility with the 08.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

This is the model 11/111. 11 is the short action synthetic stock, blued barrel with the Nikon 3-9 scope. Accu trigger is standard. Available pretty much everywhere and I bought mine at dicks for $499 as apposed to my Kimber at $1200 without scope and they shoot about identical. Just saw the model 16 advertised at Cabela's this week for just a bit more if you want the stainless. 

Edited by chuck527

hunted all my life and never a issue with a wood stock and i do hunt i all weather conditions .wood has a much better feel to it no so cheap feeling ,less recoil and is quit in woods .synthetic is very loud if a sapling or any thing else bumps  it .

• Like 1

Do not buy a Savage with the accu-junk trigger they are everything a trigger isn't supposed to be. They are usually long pulls and not really that smooth. Ruger American are a little nicer than the Savage 116 but the Ruger american use cast parts instead of machined (cuts the cost of production down). I wouldn't go buying a gun with an odd caliber if you don't reload or plan on shooting the gun often. The weatherby and short magnum calibers are pricey to shoot although they are all very flat shooting. If you are planning on hunting NY only I wouldn't see need in a gun to shoot out past 300 yards. The biggest knock on Tikka is the recoil lug which they fixed with the newer t3x and the 2 lug bolt. I think the 2 lug bolt is what really makes this gun accurate because the 3rd lug if not machined correctly can hold the case crooked within the chamber causing bullets to contact the lands of the barrel differently forcing the gun to try and stabilize the bullet more. If it comes out straight it will shoot straight. My father in law has a TC Venture and seems to shoot nice I didn't have anything to complain about but nothing to really brag about the trigger was ok not overly long a little heavy but nothing unbearable. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Absolutely agree! Plastic Stocks have no character and don't belong on a rifle! I live wood sticks, and have both wood and plastic. Wood is much nicer to carry, and no problem with warping.

hunted all my life and never a issue with a wood stock and i do hunt i all weather conditions .wood has a much better feel to it no so cheap feeling ,less recoil and is quit in woods .synthetic is very loud if a sapling or any thing else bumps  it .

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 months later...