New rifle..... 7mm 08......

thumbburn

Good short action caliber and a solid deer caliber. Bit overkill for predators, but that's not a big problem. I'd downsize a little to 243/243wssm/25-06/25wssm for a combo deer predator hunting rifle. Little flatter for the predators, bit less recoil, and still works excellent on deer.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Justin answer was my first thought as I read the original post. I have a 25/06 in a Ruger that's the long action, but from groundhogs to caribou have been taken. Hardly any recoil, a very friendly gun to shoot.

I DONT WANT TO GO WITH A .243 IN CASE I MIGHT WANNA SHOOT SOMETHING BIGGER.... I DONT VARMINT HUNT ALOT.... SO PRIMARLY A DEER RIFLE.......I LIKE THE LESS RECOIL......THIS COULD STIR UP A NEST .... BUT WHATS THE BRAND OF CHOICE?... REMS ARE 700 DOLLARS ISH..... SAVAGE ABOUT THE SAME.... MARLINS ARE DIRT CHEAP..... 300 ISH...........

Edited by thumbburn

With the average bullet weight that you will use for deer (7mm-08, 140 grain- .308, 150 grain) the difference in recoil is so negligible as to be unnoticeable. After all, the 7mm-08 is just a necked down .308. and remember with a  308 you have  much more choices in bullets I hunt  with a  308  thompson center pro  hunter I  shot  my  deer  was under 70 yards new bullet out called dlx    

004.JPG

I have one daughter that has shot a 7mm-08 for 14yrs now, great gun...she started with this at age 12..,no issues...  the other daughter started with a 243, we chased a lot of deer that got away,  two yrs ago we switched her to a 308.,  now the deer drop...  this too has been over 12 yrs.

is this a coincidence or was it the gun.. all gun were new with new scopes..Winchester, Remington, and now a Thompson, the last two yrs they go down....Im getting too old to chase deer,   good luck

Rick

If you ever read anything by David Petzal he says that the 7-08 is the best deer round on the market. It is very versatile with infinite options. I have one in a Tikka T3 and like it very much.  I have very good luck with the 120 gr. Barnes TTSX (Thanks DVD) as well as 140 gr Nosler Partition with 42 gr of 4064.

6 hours ago, DJ 717 said:

If you ever read anything by David Petzal he says that the 7-08 is the best deer round on the market. It is very versatile with infinite options. I have one in a Tikka T3 and like it very much.  I have very good luck with the 120 gr. Barnes TTSX (Thanks DVD) as well as 140 gr Nosler Partition with 42 gr of 4064.

I am considering the tika t3 for a 308.. glad you like it as I have heard awesome things. Do you have synthetic or wood stock?

I have the synthetic. Its very light and the action is ultra smooth. I am hoping to take it to Mississippi in 2 weeks to test it out on some hogs.  The only negative I have found so far is that the cartridge space in the clip is shorter that the actual throat space in the barrel, meaning that I lengthened out some hand loads that would fit in the barrel fine but the wouldn't fit in the clip.  But to be fair it isn't a high priced rifle.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, thumbburn said:

I DONT WANT TO GO WITH A .243 IN CASE I MIGHT WANNA SHOOT SOMETHING BIGGER.... I DONT VARMINT HUNT ALOT.... SO PRIMARLY A DEER RIFLE.......I LIKE THE LESS RECOIL......THIS COULD STIR UP A NEST .... BUT WHATS THE BRAND OF CHOICE?... REMS ARE 700 DOLLARS ISH..... SAVAGE ABOUT THE SAME.... MARLINS ARE DIRT CHEAP..... 300 ISH...........

doesn't matter its all about  shot placement have buddies who  hunt  with  a 243 they knock them  down

ballistic wise the 7mm08 is very close to the 270 win.  recoil for both is light.  ammo availability is much more availale for the 270 as is selection of different brands/weight.  Pa has always had rifle season and the 270 is by far the most popular. 270 in 130 grain bullet is the whitetail cartridge. Jack O'Connor would agree

Picked up a ruger American compact in 7mm08 for my fiance. Nice little gun with a decent trigger. Not too pricey. $350 on sale. Put a Nikon monark 3x9 on top. Just under $600 in the package. Shoots well and does a nice job on deer. She shoots low recoil Hornady. 120 grain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I shoot nothing but a 708 anymore.  Unless I make a trip out west for something heavy.  I have used it on deer, elk, pigs, and bear.  Mild recoil and with the great bullets made today with controlled expansion that retain so much weight I dont think there is a better all around caliber.  If you reload there is minimal powder use as well.  My 10 year old son can shoot mine all day and I just picked him up a ruger american in 708.  Great gun for the money and a much better bolt than any of the other entry level rifles.  I think I may pick one up for myself instead of dragging my beautiful browning micro hunter out it the woods and scratching it up.

Jim

19 hours ago, salmonite said:

I see, They came out with a new tx3 that I am interested to see what the main differences are. I am looking at the hunter version with the wood stock.

Not much of a difference really only the recoil lug being steel instead of aluminum. The bolt shroud is now metal with the t3x, and a nicer recoil pad. 

I have a T3 in .270 win. and it is a tack driver. Impressive gun at a good price.

Edited by Chas0218

I have the standard and am completely happy with it.  All black and non-glossy finish.  The all weather would be a nice option as well.  I won a mossberg patriot and would recommend it because it shoots extremely well but the bolt is extremely sloppy.  Nice looking gun though.  If you reload shoot me a PM and I will give you load data that is proven through the patriot.

Jim