Lake O Newbie

I'm from Michigan and been fishing as long as I've been able to hold a rod, but only a couple years into running my own boat and doing it all myself. Been fishing lake Michigan for kings and Lakers where 3-5 fish is a good day for a DIYer due to out declining king population, been reading about the great fishing on Ontario and want to try it out. 

I plan on hitting Niagara bar in the spring and then learn spots from there for summer/fall.

My question is mainly what are the main tactics used? I'm used to 300 coppers, 7 and 10 color lead on planers boards, dipsys and of course riggers. Main baits are of course spoons then lots of meat rigs and some j plugs. 

Just want to be prepared before I make the trip. Thanks!

Most guys up here use riggers and wire dipsys. I don't use lead core because I don't think it will get deep enough in the summer. The bar is a great spot for the spring. It can also produce well in the summer along with the area outside of Olcott. In fall the best bite is out towards Oswego and east.

Hope you have a good time up here on Lake Ontario and feel free to ask more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lake O Newbie I'm from Michigan and been fishing as long as I've been able to hold a rod, but only a couple years into running my own boat and doing it all myself. Been fishing lake Michigan for kings and Lakers where 3-5 fish is a good day for a DIYer due to out declining king population, been reading about the great fishing on Ontario and want to try it out. 

I plan on hitting Niagara bar in the spring and then learn spots from there for summer/fall.

My question is mainly what are the main tactics used? I'm used to 300 coppers, 7 and 10 color lead on planers boards, dipsys and of course riggers. Main baits are of course spoons then lots of meat rigs and some j plugs. 

Just want to be prepared before I make the trip. Thanks!

Same fish, different lake. You have the gear and you know the tactics you will just have to learn the water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From info gathered on local forums here I have my rods set up as follows:

-riggers-20lb line
-lead-40lb braid backing with 20lb mono before and after the lead to attach it with a Willis knot.
-copper-40lb braid backing, copper, 40lb fluorocarbon leader

Is that typical for the size fish you guys catch or should I bump the rigger and/or mono sections on the lead rods up to like 30lb?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gotcha, thanks guys! Can't wait to join the fishery and hopefully see some of you on the water!

I have seen some videos of Yakima Mag Lips being used with success on the bar in may, anyone have any experience with these being good or was it likely a plug for their sponsor?

Finally, anything specific you guys do as far as certain classes of fish you release or anything to keep the fishery sustainable? I'm all about conservation and making sure we can enjoy these things for years to come

Kings get a little bigger on Lake O than Lake Michigan.  I have done very well on the Moonshine Carbon 14 and Bad Toad magnums sized spoon for kings out of Oak Orchard.  Meat rigs on 400 copper have also treated me very well!!  Spin doctors in Mt dew chrome, if it is bright out, white with green dots or 2 face spinnies when dark or overcast.  The bar is fun in the spring, but is overloaded with lakers, too!! Good luck!

I also plan to fish Lake O as newbie this summer, Niagara bar to Olcott area.  Some general questions on tackle and tactics.

For Riggers, some one mentioned "bulking" up the line to combat fleas.  Do you run braid or mono on rigger rods, and what diameter and lb. test is suggested?  My inline planar board rods can double as rigger rods, or I could pick up some new ones or re-spool the reels.  Currently use 12# Maxima mono on these. Or do you mean bulk up the rigger cable itself?

Sounds like spoons are most common lure. What size and designs?  I have a lot of regular size Michigan Stinger spoons, some scorpion size, and a pack of jumbo salmon spoons from e-bay lure lot that I have never used.

Do you run any stickbaits for salmon, browns, steelhead, or lakers?

I have 4 good dipsey rods with #1 Dipseys.  Would these work in place of Riggers, or complement them in spread?  These setups are 8" Taloras with Tekota 500lc spooled with 40lb power pro on mono backing.  Is this adequate? too heavy? too light?  I was looking to re-spool this spring and for Erie walleyes I don't think the line size matters too much on dipsey rods.

Boat is 18'6" Lund Sport Angler with 150 Opt, 9.9 4stroke trolling motor 80lb Minkota on bow, so limited to nice weather fishing.

Thanks in advance for replies.  I am enjoying researching this adventure.

• 4 weeks later...

The fleas this past year seem to fall off alot easier than the past like they are not bonded as well. Don't k ow if anyone else noticed that. I also seem to have better luck with just a prism dodger than spin doctors or flashers. Can't seem to get them to hit with those. I've tried all different leader lengths too. But dodger fly combo always got the bite for me.

I just run 30 pound main line in the summer/fall with a 8ft  20 or 25 pound flourocarbon leader

Thanks!

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this so I'll try here first. Was reading the regs to get familiar with them and have a question...regs say 3 lines (attached to rod or not) per person. Does that mean main lines? Ex: if you run a slider off your main line on say a downrigger does that count as 1 line or 2?