Big Jon rod holder

Big Jon rod holder

Im upgrading this year and I want the best I can get for the money I have I'm looking at these what is the difference between the 2 different sets? Which would be better? And would a 4 rod holder be too much for that little base mount? Should I go with the axis 2?

IMG_0978.PNG

IMG_0979.PNG

Judging from other manufacturers' offerings, I think that the top set is able to be rotated in many directions and the bottom set only rotates up and down not side to side. You should be able to pull the rod out of the bottom set when they're deployed by lifting them up without triggering a release button.

6 hours ago, Fishwiz said:

Ok thanks do you know what the QuickDraw option means?

The Quick draw holders have cutouts on the rod holders so you can quickly get your rod out of the holder instead of having to lift it out under tension like in a standard rod holder. See how the aluminum is cut out in the front and back of the holder in the pic? Go to Big Jon.com - I'm sure they have an explanation there. It's sort of like the el cheapo cabelas rod holders but it's heavy duty and made of metal instead of plastic.

Chris

I have had trust issues with Big Jon mounting plates.  I have never had one fail.  I bought a boat where the owner had a board with three BJ electric downriggers mounted on two mounting plates.  He never had it fail.  I still have trust issues with threaded aluminum holes.  

Do the math; 3 riggers, six rod and reels, 3 dr weights, releases, baits, speed/temp probe.

Maybe in your case. 2 talora roller rods and tekota reels, divers, baits, wire line. One tekota, tx-44 board, 300 feet copper.  

Its a lot of cash hanging on 4 quarter inch tapped holes in aluminum.  Make or have someone make SS mounting plates for you.

Again, I have never had a Big Jon plate fail me.  I would pull your truck home with 4 quarter inch SS tapped holes.  

I just completed a project on my old boat by replacing all my old rod holders and swivel based on my down riggers. I settled on a Cisco track system for three reasons. 1 customer service. These were the only folks that bothered to return a phone call or email.
2. The folks at Cisco were genuinely interested in what I was doing, called me and asked me questions and offered many suggestions.
3. Value! I,was given the opportunity to compare product quality andprice. The Cisco products, IMO, by far was a better value. Material, workmanship, and usefulness
Surpassed anything else I was able to get my hands on, and at a comparable price.
Check them out on their website, don't be afraid to give them a call, ask for Mr Dave Logan. Hope this helps, tight lines

I have the triple Big Jon holders. No need for the quick draw in my opinion.

I didn't have the "multi-axis" when I bought them. I quickly realized I should have. I added some swivels from Aurora Lites so they now move as the multi-axis do. 

As for the Big Jon bases I have never had any issues. I installed good size back plates underneath. I would typically run 2 poles to the boards and a dipsy off each side, no issues ever. 

Its a little early but I will be posting them for sale soon. I have some custom units being made but I have not received them yet.