Best day of fishing

Went to Clearwater Florida with my lady and got to go fishing. I've was down there in 1998 and caught speckled trout, reddish and Jack's. This time I wanted to catch something that I'll never forget. Sheila has never been saltwater fishing so I wanted to make sure she caught something big also.

After calling 6 different guides trying to find someone that could get us on a shark or 2. The first 5 Captains I called said only redfish, and speckled trout were the only fish we could catch right now down there. Then I called Captain Brandon with Fisheye sportfishing and he said he could put us on some monster fish. Hes saying maybe even a shark or goliath grouper but for sure a couple amberjacks. I booked the trip and away to florida we went.

Got to the dock at 8 am and headed out 25 miles into the Gulf of Mexico. We sat down on a small 4 foot ledge and the screen lit up with fish. Dropped down pieces of dead smelt and it was on. Red snappers one after the other. After catching a crap of them we started to catch other fish. First up with something different was Sheila with a 30 lb redfish on medium tackle and 20 lb line. After a great battle Brian the mate pulled him in the boat. Unbelievable fish! Then we started to get into some grouper only landed 4 or 5 of them but lost probably twice that. The were getting down into the rocks on us and braking us off. Doesn't help we were still using light tackle for not so light fish.

We ended up moving out another mile to a shipwreck and dropped anchor. We got out the Amberjack spinning tackle and started free lining giant baits the would swim to the bottom or till a amberjack found him. We absolutely hammered them for the rest of the day but loosing way more than we boated. The biggest was 50lbs!!!!! They averaged 20 to 30 pounds. I never even imagined that fish could fight that hard. Those things are a aboslute riot. I think we landed 10 or 12 but loosing double that.

Most of the fun for me was just watching Sheila going to battle with them. She was able to fight and land 7 of them. We never raised a shark or even tried for goliath groupers cause the AJs were way too much fun. Fisheye sport fishing is who you want to call of your looking to have a fishing experience of a lifetime. Captain Brandon is a top notch fisherman who fishes everyday so he knows how to find them

1486520106176.jpg1486521377679.jpg1486521671996.jpg1486521682129.jpg1486521696890.jpg1486521705992.jpg1486521717840.jpg1486521725240.jpg1486521739628.jpg1486521746531.jpg1486521757506.jpg1486521776296.jpg1486521788911.jpg1486521799273.jpg1486521856749.jpg1486521869070.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i have the video of her giant red fish that she caught on 20lb spinning gear but i was swearing in the end of it so i cant post it on here but its on youtube and my facebook page

Edited by bondouley

Nice Pics & Videos!

Clearwater is a cool area been there several times, mostly fishing inshore & backcountry.

We just got back from the Keys last week and caught some big Amber Jacks & Almaco Jacks....they are beasts! We jigged them 330' down off a wreck. Caught some really nice red & mutton snapper as well on the same spot.

dave most peaple after catching one amberjack quit .going back for more thats punisment. great job

Thanks Dave! We had to take a 10 mins break in between each one. Sheila and I just took turns she would catch one then I would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I once caught an 80 lb amberjack in the keys off a wreck... I got that big bastard in, and the captain asked if I wanted to catch another... I said "hell no, I need a nap!"

The Fishin' Physician Assistant
Fishsodusbay.com