Spring Browns and What Else?

Skook

Hello,

My friend and I are taking our sons on our first-ever charter for Spring brown trout in mid-May.  They're graduating from high school this year, and it's sort of one last hurrah before they are out of the house.  We have had them steelhead fishing the Salmon River and smaller tribs several times over the past few years.  We would like to make it more than a one-day trip, and so we are hoping that there might be a chance to catch dropbacks at that time of year, although it might be getting too late for that by mid-May.

In the event that dropbacks do not cooperate, what other fishing would be available at this time of year to keep teenage boys occupied for a few days?  I was wondering whether brown trout would be catchable from the shores of Lake Ontario at that time of year.  We are coming from PA, and we are not too familiar with the fishing at this time of year.  Other than the charter, we would be relegated to shore or wade fishing.

Also, we are hoping that mid-May is normally a good time for brown trout fishing.  Between work schedules and school activities, it was about the only time we could all get together.  Is mid-May usually a good time to get on the lake for trout?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.  Thank you.

Edited by Skook
One more question....

Mid May is a perfect time to come up to Niagara County and get into a great mix of Browns, Steelhead, Lakers, and best of all, SPRING KINGS!!!. Many great Charter captains here. Thrillseeker, Reel Excitement, Tall Tales, Lone Wolf, Wet Net, etc. Your boys will get to do battle with the hardest fighting fish Lake Ontario has to offer, and they are so full of piss and vinegar in the spring, even the small fish feel like Giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

7 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Chris has given you some great advice:yes:

Thank you both for your reply.

Yes...but we already booked a charter out of Mexico Bay.  Because we fish the SR, it is more familiar territory for us, and we were hoping to add in some dropback fishing.  Also, we are located in eastern PA, and so a straight shot up I81 is closer and more convenient than fishing western NY.

I hope we didn't make a mistake in our choice.

Edited by Skook

27 minutes ago, Skook said:

Yes...but we already booked a charter out of Mexico Bay.  Because we fish the SR, it is more familiar territory for us, and we were hoping to add in some dropback fishing.  Also, we are located in eastern PA, and so a straight shot up I81 is closer and more convenient than fishing western NY.

Mid May on the Lake is usually excellent for Browns in the east end. Lake Trout fishing is excellent as well and on and off  we have Salmon and Steelhead in the area. Shore fishing is very limited unless you are open to chasing other types of fish.

You could always contact the Captain you are booked with for additional information.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Is an extra 3 hrs worth it for better fishing? The West end is where it's at in the spring. The East end is where it's at in the Fall. And everywhere in the middle is a guessing game as far as time and place.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you are looking for additional fishing other than your charter along your travel corridor you drive right by Otisco lake, as it's only 9 miles from the exit. There is good shore fishing opportunities for tiger musky in daytime and walleye at night that exact time of year. I'd be happy to get you started in the right direction for doing it yourself from shore or take you if that's an option. Feel free to pm me with any questions. Also as mentioned above the captain you booked with should be able to point you to something as far as decent shore fishing.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Thank you, Justin.  I appreciate the suggestions.  I checked out your website, and Otisco Lake looks like it could be a good option for us to take in some more fishing while we are in the area.

I'll talk it over with my friend and get back to you if we decide to give it a try.

The middle of the lake is great fishing year round, in the rochester to sodus area  we have brown trout all year, steelhead all year, lake trout all year,  and ussualy we can find kings around not in as big of numbers as east end in the spring but they are here most of the year.   it is a great area to see a nice variety of fish!   Good luck on your trip!  There are many good captains all up and down the lake from niagra to oswego/mexico.     

May near the salmon river, you can expect to catch Browns, lakers and steel. May CAN be a good time for salmon, but it's a bit hit and miss. A good time of year to fish lake wide honestly. If you desire salmon, you gotta consider the west end though

The Fishin' Physician Assistant
Fishsodusbay.com

Drop backs are the best steelheads on the fly of the year. They  have so much power & they can smash the fly ,jump and tear up the creek. . Might be a little late but there will be some left in the fast water & riffles of the Salmon if not real warm early.