Kicker Size And Mount

fitz67

Fitz,

I have a 21' Grady White most likely in the same weight range maybe a little heavier. I have a Yamaha 9.9hp 4 stroke Hi Thrust for trolling that I'm very satisfied with. The hi thrust model has a huge prop and will really push into the wind and waves. The only time I haven't used it is when the waves are over 4' and close together. It also sips gas. I have a drop down bracket, OMC. I'm not sure I would trust a swim platform unless it is an integral part of the boat and maybe not even then, but that's just me.

Sully

Here's my 22 ft Aquasport Osprey, 9.9 four stroke on the integral dive platform about 4000lbs with 225 and 100gal gas and Ive had four people on board as well....does well NO PROBLEM ;) but you need some extra cord on the pull start unless you got an electric....also need a way to raise and lower the kicker without getting out over the back of the boat...big waves will not be friendly..so I use a boat/dock hook to reach it without the need for slipping off the back of the boat.

Mark

aVGIY3r.jpg

Your best bet would be to get electric starter and electric tilter for your kicker motor so you dont need to worry about putting up the kicker out of the water whenever you ride your boat and putting it down for trolling out in the lake. Also, be sure it has at least 6 amp alternator to constantly charge your batteries while trolling and your electronic equpment running.

I have 15 HP Honda 4 stroke kicker 25" long shaft for my V21 Wellcraft - approximately 3,000 lbs dry weight. I could ve went with 9.9 hp however they made a very generous offer to get rid of their 15 HP for the same price as 9.9 hp.

I had my boat rigged at Arneys Marina and I am very happy with their service.

I'm running a 9.9 Yamaha kicker on a Proline 25 Walk with a Stainless Marine integrated swim platform that carries a 225hp ETEC. Used a bracket from Adventure Marine on the west coast to mount the kicker on. 9.9 pushes the boat fine. Agree that you would need to be sure your swim platform could carry a kicker. Once you've fished with a kicker, it would be hard to go back to trolling with a big motor. Good luck getting setup.