Planer boards

erieboy

Planer boards

I am planning on starting to use planer boards for Walleye on lake Erie this summer, all being well. I have never used them so does anybody no of any good vidoes or posts here that explains hot to use them, seen them used and they look cumbersome but they are popular.

Thanks

Ian 

I agree with fish master re YouTube. I would call company you plan to buy from for specs. I was looking at tx-44  walleye boards and found out they hold 12oz + downrigger ball or dipsy. But don't pull well with lighter tackle. Maybe that's what you want. The medium size boards, at least for me, seem more ideal for what I want to do, but probably won't be beyond 30 fow deep trolling

We love the the church tx 22. Extremely user friendly especially using lead core. They run great in rough weather. I would suggest getting used to running two per side, when the outside board goes allow the fish to drag it back and it should come right over top of the other (inside board). Then all you do is let the inside board out and that becomes the outside board. Reset and repeat. One thing that is important is making sure you are running the same depth of lines per side. So for example if you want to run two seven colors and two five colors you need to run the two fives on one side and the two sevens on the other. If running big boards watch vision quest sport fishing utube videos. You will watch how to position the rods and how to reset them down the planer board line. 

With using multiple lines on the same side keeping everything the same length out before you connect to the board is important. 

Being patient with the fish and letting it clear the lines is also really important. If you run segmented cores you'll learn after the first handful of tangles. Good luck. Once you get the hang of it there is no more effective way to catch a suspended Erie eye 

I have the church planer boards after buying my boat last spring and everything else I didn't have alot of money for planer boards.  They work good on calmer water and lighter tackle but I'm definitely purchasing bigger ones mine don't really get away from the boat nearly as far as I'd like and if it's choppy they don't work well at all 

The Walleye boards work well for walleye trolling as you are normally running fairly light stuff with them and I run multiple sets of them without problem with worm harnesses and  Rapala type stick baits as well as short to medium leadcores. I cinch down the release tightly so it doesn't actually release though and manually release them as I get to the board. I have also replaced the pin in the back with stainless steel ones so that braid doesn't wear grooves  or cut the plastic in the standard ones.

I run them every day all summer and love them. I run 4 a side routinely with deep divers and clip weights and I can get them so far away from the boat you can't hardly see them when I'm the only boat around. I run every line at a different depth with the shallower lures on the outside and deeper on the inside. Longer on the outside as well. You can check any line and put it back in your spread without touching the other rods. If you really want to see how to use them take a charter and you will learn a ton. I've added dot reflective tape to mine and during lowlight or dark they are super easy to see with my led mast lights. I do use big boards as well but prefer the churchs' walleye boards on walleye.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

On 2/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, erieboy said:

Planer boards

I am planning on starting to use planer boards for Walleye on lake Erie this summer, all being well. I have never used them so does anybody no of any good vidoes or posts here that explains hot to use them, seen them used and they look cumbersome but they are popular.

Thanks

Ian 

Heres some good links

Church Tackle Company on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/churchtackleco/videos

Offshore Tackle

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E47m7kPrmhG-nRh4HnQw

I use Offshore and made a tattle flag system on the cheap. Just food for thought.
DIY Inline planer tattle flag w/ pics
https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/57759-DIY-Inline-planer-tattle-flag-w--pics

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United