Mexico Bay 7/19 to 7/21

The Dapper Dan made me proud last weekend. I had 3 guests on board and we managed a 4-man limit on browns.

Saturday was slow with just 2 of us on board. We took 2 browns with the first on a Stingray Killer Dolphin 67/90 at 2.4. The second came on a Blue Whale 36 inches behind a 4/0 Lure Jensen copper/silver dodger. That DR was set 80/90 and speed was 2.4. Got one skipper in a copper back NBK cheated 10 feet up from the ball. The ball was at 90/130 and speed was 1.9.

The Dapper Dan had 4 anglers on deck on Sunday. We managed a 4-man limit on browns with one skipper thrown in with a final tally of 12 for 17. Most were on NK-28 Glow Frogs and a NK-28 Sea Sick Waddler.

8 on the Glow Frog

3 on the SSW

2 on Stingray Killer Dolphin

1 on Stinger Copper cup NBK

1 on Stinger Ice Frog (more on this)

1 Skipper on Hammer Fly and Mountain Dew on Black Spin DR

1 data lost in the excitement

The Glow Frog was favored whether on the cheater or the main line. The browns seemed to zero in on it. We had 1 hit on the Stinger Ice Frog which is similar but the spoon broke. This was a new spoon connected with a Berkley 30# coast lock clip behind 15# fluorocarbon and a slide diver. The clip came back in one piece and closed so the spoon eye ripped through.

I ran the 4/0 dodger again on Saturday and it seemed to be a definite winner. It out produced everything when it was out. The slide diver worked well also. It was set with a 30-40’ lead in back of the diver, set back 250’ on #3.

We ended with a triple on browns. It started with a 3.5# taking the SSW on the slide diver, followed by a 5# on the Glow Frog off a DR and ending with a 7# brown firing the other DR on the Killer Dolphin behind the dodger. These were set at 67 over 73 and speed was 2.4.

Most were in 70 to 95 fow with 80 being our target. Spoons set anywhere from 5 to 10 feet above the bottom. DR's were cheated fixed up 10'. Target speed was 2.4. The Glow Frogs were the clear favorites. If the Glow Frog was on the cheater - it fired. If the Glow Frog was on the main line - it fired.

The slide diver was set up with 30 yards of 30# Big Game behind 30# Fireline terminated with 6 to 8 feet of 15# fluorocarbon. This worked well at about 30-35 behind the diver when set out 250 feet on #3.

I went solo on Monday morning and did another 7 for 12 on browns in 3 hours. All came on a 2-rod spread (one slide diver and 1 DR cheated). Again, the numbers were around 80 fow with the main spoon set 5' up from the bottom and cheated at 10' up. The slide diver was set out 50' behind the diver and back 250 on #3. Speed was 2.0 to 2.4. One dipsy hit came on an inside turn at 2.2 mph. All were 7-8# browns except for the last which was a 3.5# brown with a lamprey. The lamprey went back in 2 pieces.

I made it easy for myself and only pulled Glow Frogs on the DR and a SSW on the slide diver. I took 3 on the SSW slide diver and the rest on the Glow Frogs. Again, the main DR spoon followed the dodger by 30-36 inches.

I managed 2 sets of doubles. The first was on the DR rod with both the main and cheater firing on Glow Frogs with a brace of 7# browns. The second double was a large brown on the DR which I dropped in close and a 7# brown on the SSW slide diver. Interesting to note that, as I was retrieving the Glow Frog DR after the brown dropped off, I watched another strike in the prop wash about 25 feet back. I couldn't identify the fish other than it was a trout/salmon in the 8-10 pound range. It hit and released in the blink of an eye. It might have been a Coho. I guess I can call that one a triple because I did have a total of 3 fish on.

Saturday and Sunday we found the kings in the Oswego area. They are sitting on the bottom in the 300-350 fow range. My screen looked as if it was running in demo mode. I had 20 arches at any one time. The kings were so thick you could walk across the lake without getting your toes muddy. Hopefully they will start coming up this week. The thermocline was showing on the graph both Saturday and Sunday steadying up between 80 and 90 feet. On Monday, I had 44 degrees at 60 feet in Mexico Bay.

Here’s a picture of our triple:

[dscf0764gt5.th.jpg

Here’s a shot of the Saturday tally. We dropped a bled out fish as we were transferring it to the cooler from the bleed rope so we are only showing 11. I share a dock with Trout One Charters so I used his display board:

dscf0769xs6.th.jpg

Thanks to John, Andy and Chris for a great day on the water! These guys made for great fishing partners and we all had a good time.

Nice job Tim, another Jersey guy does good!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. You missed it by that much. I'm in PA about 300 yards from the Delaware River/New Jersey border.

I can still smell NJ with an East wind. Did I say that? I meant to use my internal voice :shock: I meant the flowers and all :$

Nice job Tim, another Jersey guy does good!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. You missed it by that much. I'm in PA about 300 yards from the Delaware River/New Jersey border.

I can still smell NJ with an East wind. Did I say that? I meant to use my internal voice :shock: I meant the flowers and all :$

\

Hey you know how it is, if you ever lived in NJ, you drive like an #%&hole, where you live smells like an &$%hole, when you in a bar in NY state they look at you like an *$%hole, but our women are HOT and we know how to catch fish LOL

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D