Using mono for wire rod storage

I know this has been a topic on here before, but can't find it. So you can post it here if you do, or we'll just go around again with the topic! [emoji23]

I breakdown my wire dipsy rods after almost every trip.

What do you all think of using a length of mono at the end of your wire to alleviate getting loops or kinks in the wire? What # test is used? How often do you or should you change it?

Thanks, Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Luke, I run Slide Divers on my wire rods most of the year. and keep a 30lb. mono leader ahead of the wire. 15 to 20ft. works for me. No snubber as the mono absorbs the shock. You are correct with the storage aspect, mono wrapped over the wire  keeps it on the reel nicely. 

We've been using 40lb mono on our wire rods for 2 years now. 25-30 ft. With an allbright knot. Change it out as needed. No more curly cues. A charter captain I know uses 50lb Spros heavy swivels on the wire. But it's a PITA to do yourself. 

Got my LOU stickers Luke. Thanks for the quick delivery.

I only use 6 ft. 1 piece roller rods for wire rigs but I keep the tension on the wire at all times in storage with a small bungi cord which eliminates the mono etc.

tension1.jpg