Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suttontroller94

What fish finder?

What fish finder?

Looking to get a new fish finder/GPS combo for around $300 or under I was looking at the humminbird helix 5 at cabelas for 299 but just wanted to see what else was out there. I looked  a Garmin striker 4 as Well for only $104 but don't really like the 3.5" screen would prefer a screen around 5"or  so

I just picked up a Garmin echomap 53cv with the built in gps and lakevu maps at Bass Pro during their spring classic sale. Retail is 450 on sale for 280. I think they had limited supplies though. Still worth a look. I think the sale goes to March 2nd or so.

I too like the Garmin stuff... EchoMap 73dv is what I have at the helm and a striker 4 dv up front.  I dont use the DI for trolling but it has traditional sonar as well. Garmin's service is what sold me on it.

Jim

I had a Humminbird Helix 5 on the bow of my Bass Tracker PT175 attached to the TM.  Sun glare blinded the screen out and I couldn't see it at all.  It was useless for that application. I have not owned a Garmin so I won't comment on them.  If I were you I would be taking a look at the Lowrance Hook 7 with Lake Insight and Sun Cover.  Cabelas has it for $349 or you can pay BPS $399 for the same item.  http://www.cabelas.com/product/LOWRANCE-HOOK-MID-HIGH-HDI-W-CARD-COVER/2372281.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dlowrance%2Bhook%2B7%26CQ_st%3Db  Make sure it's the one that comes with the map and the sun cover.  I previously had a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI which is the predecessor to the Hook and I really liked it.  My birthday is coming up and this is the unit I asked my wife to buy for my new boat.  I like the 7 inch screen!

The auto chart is really easy, but you do have to buy the auto chart pro if you want more than 8 hours of mapping. The mapping is why I went with the helix. The Garmin is a great unit as well.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750