Niagara Bar

J-Lopez

Lake Erie, the source of the water over the Bar, is again open water this years so we will not have to deal with a delayed warming of the Lake Ontario waters to 45 degrees, the desired fishing temperature. Also walleyes are being taken now in open waters in Ohio. The usually prevailing southwest winds will blow the warmer surface waters here earlier since there is no ice field to block them. Your boat and tackle should have been ready yesterday. By the way a local golf course is opening this weekend with the early spring conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway but my advice is to hire a experienced local charter captain for a first time fishing  Niagara bar and river. It's some of the greatest freshwater fishing in the country,but if you hire a good captain at least for your 1st or 2nd trip your learning curve will be much shorter and you will likely save in the money vs fun ratio. There are a number of excellent captains to chose from. I'd be happy recommend a few. BTW I'm a local and have fished the Niagara for 40 years.