1 hour ago, sid said:

Cooper

Need some help.Why does my 400 cooper down the middle getting into my wire diver set at 2 1/2 ?

Thanks

The only way I can see that happening would be on your turns. If you are turning too sharp and not maintaining speed copper will sink like a lead balloon.

I tangled my dipsy and 450 last year when turning around... did what I thought was a wide turn and found out the hard way that I better just pull the copper, make a wide turn and redeploy. Chalk that one up to the learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Or you are letting it out to fast.  Sometimes if you let it out too fast and you are not going perfectly straight, you will hang up on a wire diver.

Not to say you'll never tangle on a turn, but my bet is you're catching it while letting out the copper and don't know it. Letting a 450 copper out too fast can grab the belly of the wire, especially if it's out 250-300. 

We send out copper to a board right over the top of a deployed dipsey

but the key is keep it straight and let it out SLOW

Hi Sid, the most important thing as everyone has mentioned is speed. That includes the boat and fallback speed. It is always best to keep a little extra boat speed in the process of letting your diver or copper out. Always keep good tension on either of those by slowly letting them out. I have a feeling that the problem is developing from a case of too fast of a fall back and not enough boat speed.
Something that takes some patience, but will keep at least one issue from happening. When you have a 2.5 or 3 setting on a dipsey, and you let it out too fast and boat speed is slower than say 2.5 gps, you will get the dipsey doing a twirling dive bomb because it hasn't got enough water pressure from boat speed against it. If it does that it passes behind the boat and moving the opposit direction from your boat, then catches up quickly and flips over going upwards at a fast rate. There's where it will grab your copper down the chute. You don't even know it and later when you go to pull one of them you might think it was the turn you just did.
Turns need to be done wide and with a little more speed. If you are letting a copper sit right in the middle, you can also move the copper rod tip to a side rod holder over the water, away from the dipsey you are trying to let out to give you a little more room and clearance.
Generally if you are turning, and you have 2 dipsey, one on each side, move the copper to the inside corner of the boat, of the turn. That can help also, but I have never had to do that unless the turn is tighter than recommended.
Speed, speed , speed. All are the most important. Boat faster than you want to troll, and lines out slower than you would have patience for. Maintain good pressure on the divers. Also, if doing them first, let the divers settle in position at the distance you want and keep the boat moving a little fast. Then go very straight and let the copper out. You should not be anywhere near a 2.5 dipsey wire that is settled.
Copper on my boat always goes out first in the chute at as much as 5mph, just to get it out there quicker. Put the rod up high or on the opposite side. Then slow to 2.7 or 3mph, and slowly let the diver out on the other side away from the copper. Let the diver settle at the distance you want, move the copper to that side with the diver, and slowly let the other diver out, let it settle, then move the copper back to center of the chute, Drive straight, dial in your troll speed, and you should be good to go, ...until the double or triple hook up happen,...then none of this matters cause the fish have all the control and you have all the chaos! Lol!

cent frum my notso smartphone

New to this kind  of terminology.  Why do you run copper?  Is it for depth?  How deep can you run dipseys, and do you run them on braid or wire?

Copper sinks roughly 20' for every 100' out @ 2.5 mph. When someone gives a copper number there're referring to feet out.
And I use wire for my dipsys. The chart that comes with a magnum dipsy says it'll achieve 100' using 20# mono at 2.5 mph. But with wire or braid it should go deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

FarmerChris copper and dipsy divers are used to get your lure down to where the fish are and at the same time get back away from the boat. Put the coppers on boards and now you're away from the back and on the sides, making a bigger, wider spread with the theory being the fish are boat/cable shy. Some days the only strikes come on these lines. Depth of both depend on how much line is out, speed and current. Just some more tools in the tool box. As far as braid or wire, I run both but mostly wire. 

Edited by Firechief48

No double keel.  put in on TX-44 did not plane out always back behind the boat.Put it out on otter boats still the same thing.Should I try double keel? I think 450 cooper should overboard bout had enough.

When I first started copper I had a tangle in a dipsey after letting the copper out when the boat wasn't straight. Now, I'm extremely anal about the boat being straight and painfully slow letting out the copper. When I have a fellow fisherman on the boat with me and I see that they are letting the copper out on free spool I start to get the shakes and head to the front of the boat.. lol

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

While talking about letting out wiith copper or wire it is also a good idea to never "free spool" it with your thumb as you might woith say a downrigger or topline but rather loosen the drag till the copper or wire lets itsself out under tension and increase the boat speed to let out more line while still under tension

1 hour ago, sid said:

No double keel.  put in on TX-44 did not plane out always back behind the boat.Put it out on otter boats still the same thing.Should I try double keel? I think 450 cooper should overboard bout had enough.

I've never had problems with 44's. I myself haven't used the Otters but those I know that do use the double keel and have no problems pulling coppers.

• 2 weeks later...