Sutton spoons

Well, I got my batch of new 44's from sutton. I'm hoping this is an isolated event but the spoon on left is after 4 hrs of trolling with only 1 small land lock. The one on the right I haven't used yet. Seems to me they need to keep looking for another plater. I have 15 year old suttons that look better than the one I used for 4 hrs. Anyone else have this problem? IMG_1487877735.452231.jpgIMG_1487877746.449387.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Cold water interacting with the protective lacquer film they put on them? Try pputting some toothpaste on a cloth and gently rub them to see if the shine comes back

Cold water interacting with the protective lacquer film they put on them? Try pputting some toothpaste on a cloth and gently rub them to see if the shine comes back

Thanks les but I tried that before posting. It looks like the plating is literally coming off.

They could self plate with a $1500 setup and not farm it out.  I tried to contact them to see if they wanted me to setup and completely manage/ship all of their items.  They said they dont even want to sell on the internet because they are old school.  Just dont understand when you give people the opportunity to make a mint and they flat out refuse.   

You'd have to go to the store to fully understand:lol: When they say "old school" they really mean it...the place is right out of the 40's and fifties:)

Steelydan - I'll have to keep an eye on my new ones for that too. There have always been issues with the plating staining from water left on them when put away etc. but they have mostly responded to lightly using jewelers silver polish on them. Sounds as though they still may not have the plating situation ironed out yet...

Edited by Sk8man

Nothing wrong with old school, if they started selling on the internet they would never rest. I don't blame them for not. As far as the plating goes it's outsourced from what I understand so as a business owner I know how that goes. My spoons are kept in a special mate box to hang dry. If they can't be put in cold water or have to be polished after every use than the plater needs to do a better job.

The spoon after use will catch nothing but maybe some drifting weeds.

I might add that the suttons I had cliff replate look perfect after each use. And the new sutton 44's I got in the heavy copper back did not do this either. Just the thin flutter I used. I'm going to check the rest of my flutters out next time out

At one point I had over 300 Suttons from the early eighties of all different types and weights and the only problem I had was occasionally I would forget to dry one off and just throw it in the box or perhaps leave it out in the boat somewhere and it would get a tarnish spot or two on it most of which (but not all) came off with the silver polish and a soft cloth. Those spoons also had a thin lacquer film or coating on them which helped protect the silver....I wonder if they stopped using it on the new ones and that is accentuating the problem with the plating especially if it is too thin a plating.

At one point I had over 300 Suttons from the early eighties of all different types and weights and the only problem I had was occasionally I would forget to dry one off and just throw it in the box or perhaps leave it out in the boat somewhere and it would get a tarnish spot or two on it most of which (but not all) came off with the silver polish and a soft cloth. Those spoons also had a thin lacquer film or coating on them which helped protect the silver....I wonder if they stopped using it on the new ones and that is accentuating the problem with the plating especially if it is too thin a plating.

I can't see any clear coat on them, usually you can see it in the holes at front and rear of the spoon. I think the plating is just too thin, you can see on the new one that the bronze color is showing thru the plating on the edges