Opinions on the Fishhawk TD

bobby416n

I seen this fishhawk TD and was wondering if this would be worth getting as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive speed and temp system?

Any thoughts or opinions?? And maybe some pointers on use if someone had used one of these.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Hawk-TD-Digital-Water-Temperature-and-Depth-Reader-NEWEST-MODEL-/182458440895?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've had one for several years now and it can be useful but in no way is it a substitute or cheaper "alternative" to the Fishawk full size unit. For starters it doesn't measure the temp in "real time"  like the larger units You basically send it down either on your line or on a downrigger and it measures the temps at 5 ft intervals and then you retrieve it and look at the temperature profile and it is often used to find the thermocline starting point for your trolling. It also can be used on your line to find what (approximate) depth your lure is running at and the temperature there.  It can be a useful instrument but it is quite limited in its use compared with a full sized unit that measures temperature, speed, and depth in real time as you troll.  This method also detects changes in the thermocline layer as you go along which the TD does not.

Edited by Sk8man