I/o water output help

Hauling the $

Need some more info. But taking a guess that you have a V8 the first thing I would look at is your Riser on the side that is not pushing water out. Its the elbow part that is attached to your exhaust manifold and then attaches to a rubber bellows before going into your outdrive. There are 3-4 rectangular passageways that can get filled up with metal/rust scales that erodes over time from the exhaust manifold breaking down. Like the rust on a truck frame. Anyway that stops the water from exiting the system. If the base isn't to corroded after you clean out the passageways you can put a new gasket down [ napa/ebay] and your good to go. There is usually a drain plug on the side of the riser ,remove that and you can put a small diameter piece of wire in and prod around free up the metal before you winterize it. This should be done every year to help prevent it from total stoppage. Anyway that's where I would look first,and clean out the other side while your at it,4 nuts on each side and 2 hose clamps, doesn't take long. Report back and we can take it from there.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

It's not unusual to only exit on one side running it on a hose. The discharge water will take the path of least resistance with no back pressure, whether it be the port or starboard, but normally on the starboard side. V-8 & V-6 all run into a Y pipe before they exit thru the transom plate & 4cyln's a single pipe. If it's a 4cyln they will normally only discharge on the starboard side. If you are/were having an overheat issue or just bought the boat, have the pump & impeller checked/replaced then go from there. 

Knowing a bit more as to what it is and how you tested it I would go with what L&M posted. He did say on muffs it just goes out the starboard side, which is what your seeing. The impeller should be replaced every few years on that setup and if you don't know when it was done last , save your yourself the worry of it overheating and rubber bits chunking up the passage ways, do it this spring. NAPA has them as well as your local dealers.