POS sub troll

POS sub troll

New prob ,new cable from antenna,new antenna, new battery, check cable.Got speed but the temp will work for about 2 min than he reading reads 00.0 but it looks like 88.8.

Any help?

THANK YOU  

The battery is good.The first battery was not .Put on a tester reading 12.3 

The next thing to do is pull all the cable off and ck it.I don't know why I get speed and no temp. My be the head unit is no good.May have to send it all out and have it ck.My be this new prob has a bad temp sensor where the paddle wheel is. 

20 hours ago, sid said:

there is no bare wires.I don't know what u mean has a cause.The whole cable has been ck.

As Erabbit posted you must burn off the coating on the wire where it attaches to the probe. It should be bare to just above the hanging hook. Then your supposed to wrap waterproof tape around the exposed cable from the hook up to the end of exposed wire.. Or coat it with liquid electrical tape leaving just the bare wire on the hanging hook exposed. If you don't have instructions you may want to Google them.

You may have problems with the head if you get speed but not temp. Might want to see if you can borrow someone else's to test your system.

Agreed. Then you can make sure before you send it in for repair. Borrow someone's probe and head unit if you can.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just strip off all the cable and looks good .I am going to redo the end .I just talked with sone who as 2 sub troll got sick of the problems he was having with them and bought a fish hawk he says I can use head unit to see if it makes a difference  Yes I know you have to burn off the coating at the end and wrap it. This unit was working fine than all of a sudden.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had all the same problems as sid. I probably spent another $600 on spare parts and probes for that pos sub troll I had. Lat spring I finally had enough and tossed it in the dumpster and bought a Fish Hawk. Best thing I ever did. It works totally awesome and without a doubt helped me catch more fish. Its simple to use and way less parts to break of fail than the sub troll. Do yourself a favor and buy a Fish Hawk.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used one last year and the temp was off by about 10 degrees compared to the surface temp on the Lowrance. Inside the probe I pulled out the circuit board and on the top right side there is a little blue dial. Use a real tiny screw driver and you can 'calibrate' the temp to match up with what ever your fish finder shows. Not sure why yours only shows 00 though. May be worth a try. Good luck and toss it out and get a fish hawk!

11 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I gotta say I like my sub troll more than my FH. I'm sure that will shock most of you.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

X2.

Fish Hawk X4-D works fine, but when I fish across currents I find the sub troll reading is more stabil. I do like the smaller probe on the Fish Hawk though. Price tag....not so much.

Ck the back of the board over for a cold solder joint, looks like a tiny crack, this is common on intermittent electronic devices. Can be tough to see so take your time

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

Up date,Fishing Oswego Saturday 5 min into it the sub troll head went to 888 on the temperature switch out with one I borrowed from a friend and work!! So there you go.