Some thoughts on termination of small baits

Gill-T

Some thoughts on termination of small baits

Yes, it happens every year.  I show up to the pier at Olcott two weeks early because I just need to get a feel for how far away from boat season is.  Yes.....too early for bait to show up.  Yes.....I thought there might be a chance to pop a fish with the front coming thru.  Yes......I got soaked.  Yes.....I got skunked.  It was not a complete loss as I was able to check my bait action pier-side.  Typically I use a Duolock snap for all my spring trolling rods.  I noticed at the pier that the action on my small Renosky and Junior Thunderstick baits was horrible with a duolock.  Direct tie to the split ring yielded markedly better action.  

For me it depends on the stick.  Some are much more sensitive than others and not even all of the same type stick always run the same  and may need to be tuned regardless.  Some are very speed dependent so they may work better when run tied directly with loop tie e.g. some Rapalas.Others function fine with a small quality ball bearing swivel snap or else run with a small light weight Doulock  with a ball bearing swivel tied into the leader about 3 ft up from it. I always run them briefly next to the boat or close in back  to see how they are running no matter which option I choose.

Edited by Sk8man

Try a different approach.  

Here is the theory;  the split part of the split ring is bearing on the nose loop of the bait.  The force keeps the bait from wobbling properly.  

Tie directly to the split ring, the knot will tend to hang in the split part of the ring and the bait's action is not affected.  

Trouble with that is your leader is acted on by the same splits, which may damage the line and fail.  One should take the time to tie in a manner that puts the split to the side.  This protects the line and preserves the action.

Here is the different approach that you should try the next time you get to the pier.  Remove the split ring and snap right to the nose loop of the bait.  I have heard of people changing the round split ring to the oval ones.  In practice the oval rings keep that split to the side.  I may get around to putting some oval rings on this year.  But I know my pin minnows and j-7s run fine without round rings.

I run a lot of stick baits on Erie for eyes and I remove the split ring and tie a rapala knot directly to the bait. Two problems with this is that storing you're poles with baits on them is not ideal. Also I'm also losing leader but on tournament day I wouldn't do it any other way. 

I have used the Rapala knot in the past.  How long do you trust a Rapala knot?  My guess is tourney days you start with a new knot.  If you are prefishing or fun fishing, how often do you retie?

Like youp50 I remove the split rings on all my stick baits no matter the size and go direct with a small duolock on the small sticks and a larger duolock on bigger stickbaits.  Lures can be easily changed and you don't have to leave a lure on the rod for transport.  For something like a floating rapala you can bend/crush the nose loop down a little to give the bait a slightly wider wobble.  

I retire often sometimes a few times a day when switching baits. Not uncommon using light leaders to retie after a few fish. We check our leaders after every fish retire when necessary but we rarely break a line and fish lighter then most.