I need some no BS musky lure help

I need some no BS musky lure help

I have a lake front cottage on Chautauqua lake, and have fished it for 15 years.  Landed my first two musky last year lol.  I need some no BS advice on some gear and lures.

My boat is rigged up for Erie and Ontario walleye, salmon, steelhead, lakers....good Garmin Chirp Sonar and Autopilot.  Down riggers, Dipsy divers, jet divers, stick baits and spoons.

Im looking to troll exclusively.  The two i caught last year were on some of my walleye stick baits trolled off the down riggers.

How on gods green earth do you guys keep your lures from fouling with surface and suspended seaweed?  I get maybe 7 minutes before my lures foul.

I was going to order some musky baits from a place called Paul Fecs Hammer Lures, based out of Wampum PA, but he's not taking orders.  Can someone recommend a few brands of baits and maybe some colors for me to try?  I really want to target musky this year.  Walleye fishing on Erie is getting boring.

Edited by jigstick

I don't troll anymore but I see a lot of boats trolling there with down rods. Maybe that helps with weeds? And I know Baker baits trolled there catch fish. I have caught some myself there trolling Bakers. I just hate trolling. I would rather cast all day and get shut out than troll. But that's just me. Good luck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Down rods will keep your lures clean. Riggers work for weeds as well. I use clip weights just 15-20 feet away from my inline boards just to collect the weeds and the lure will still dive to the desired depth. I'm not on Chautauqua but Otisco is just as bad with floating weeds. Whatever lures you choose to troll defeating the weeds is the first step.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Todd Young of Muddy Creek Fishing guides has a 5" bait of mine with over 100 Chautauqua fish on it and another with over 70 Chautauqua fish . Todd has been using my baits for around 6 years and has caught 100s of fish on 5" Bakers.

Trust the guys who make a living on the lake and fish it daily on what's best. Year in n year out. BAKERS , Boss Shads, Perch baits and the legendary WILEYS.

1488392629112.thumb.jpg.98b9e6a77ad103368e6b32c7dcebd49c.jpg1488392641321.thumb.jpg.cacae498e8272c041dbe19d1474916e6.jpg1488392654519.thumb.jpg.60c88465abfabe61b666844d1b3b89ee.jpg1488392665720.thumb.jpg.5bb02a75c59a859fc1613905f390b564.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, justtracytrolling said:

Down rods will keep your lures clean. Riggers work for weeds as well. I use clip weights just 15-20 feet away from my inline boards just to collect the weeds and the lure will still dive to the desired depth. I'm not on Chautauqua but Otisco is just as bad with floating weeds. Whatever lures you choose to troll defeating the weeds is the first step.

Justin Okrepki
(607)-349-1750

Justin, what type/size of clip weights do you recommend to catch those weeds? I have never tried them 

You are asking all the same questions you did last year. Get some braid for main line and long fluorocarbon leaders with big swivels at the main line end of the leader. Get down east rod holders and dunk the tips of your rods about a foot under the surface of the water. Thats the best way to limit the collection of floating weeds on flat lines. Like i said last year, having the tips of your rods close to the water doesnt do anything for you.

I would get some long muskie rods or use 10' dipsey rods for your side rods. They are a little stiffer than the downrigger rods that you probably have. With those rods and down east rods holders, you will have no trouble dunking your rod tips. No way your boat sits too high out of the water to dunk your rods. You could still use your downriggers for your two back rods.

People didnt bs you last year. You got solid advice for the questions you asked.

All the lures already mentioned are good choices. Although im sure the Candies are great baits, you may have some sticker shock with them. Once you really get into it, you can start buying $80 to $150 baits if you want, but i wouldnt start with those. Wileys, Bakers, Boss Shads, Tuff Shads, and Legends are basically all I use on Chq and they catch tons of fish.

IMG_1488460304.381931.thumb.jpg.802730bd9e9bffe6c3f017504f7208cf.jpg

IMG_1488460324.583615.thumb.jpg.92974b8f1a334763ccbb35542e5bbf13.jpg

IMG_1488460346.483474.thumb.jpg.4daef32f1825c2544eb38679615813bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes I am from Pittsburgh.  And thanks for letting me know about the show.  I happen to be off of work this Saturday, and will definitely go up to the show.  Its at the Double Tree?

After you get your down east rod holders set up to dunk your rods, be careful how you let your bait out. Put your bait and rod tip under the surface of the water and let your line and bait out with tension so it is running some and diving...not floating on the surface, collecting weeds already. Then put your rod in the holder with your rod tip under the water.

If the weeds are real bad, fish another area. They are usually blown to one side of the lake more than the other or just concentrated in certain areas. The weeds at Chautauqua can be pretty bad though. Sometimes when i clean the rods, i cant even make it all the way around the boat to clean all six before i need to clean them all over again. When it gets that bad, i get out of that area asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fishinlslife,
I use the off shore clips (red with the pin) and anywhere from 1 to 3 ounces on the weight. I keep the weights close to the surface and they collect the weeds. You still have to run your lines alot to be successful, and as Ivan said some areas will usually be blown clean. On Otisco the west side has far less floating weeds as the wind is usually out of the west at least a little.

Justin Okrepki
(607)-349-1750

Quit looking for a magic lure they all work . Location and timing, muskies are inactive for a large portion of the day and tracking studies show they are most active around sundown and least active in the early morning ( that's not saying you will never catch one in the morning ). Remember your dealing with a top predator there are more zebras than lions.. Take about 3 inches of 1/8 or 3/16 vinal tubing and slit it in quarters for about half its length. Splay out the fingers and run it ahead of your leader with the fingers facing your reel .. every so often reel just to the surface give the rod a snap and the weeds will fly off.

I troll with Hosebaits $100 bucks and more each. I like them but they are not necessarily needed, I've caught hundreds of muskies on Believers, Jakes,  Suicks and generic spinners.

Edited by horsehunter

I had a chance to get to the Musky Convention today at the Double Tree.  What a great venue.  I got to meet the guys from Boss Shad, Wiley, and Zach Baker as well.  All of them were really informative, and took the time to talk to me about and answer a bunch of questions.  The guys from FatAzMusky walked me through the DownEast rod holders and matching track mounts, and I think they are going to work on my boat to get my rod tips in the water.

I also hooked up with a Chautauqua musky charter...Todd Young from Muddy Creek Fishing.  He actually lives within walking distance of my cottage up there.  What a small world.  I scheduled a day on the water with him the last week of June.  Hopefully he can get me straightened out.

Here are some of the baits that were recommended to me from Boss Shad and Wiley:

KCaSOfm.jpg

x7sJhDF.jpg

lqogMCY.jpg

7X6aUo6.jpg

NbrUmG3.jpg

Unfortunately I arrived too late, and most of the Baker lures were picked over.  But Zach took ALOT of time to talk to me, and said he would work on getting me a few by the start of the season.  He's getting smashed with orders and shows.  Hopefully with the techniques you guys mentioned, and more "musky specific" gear, Ill be able to land more fish.  Here is a picture of my boat:

GXebo6N.jpg

And here I am with a few hog walleye on Lake Erie.  My comfort zone is definitely walleye, steelhead, and salmon on Erie and Ontario, but hopefully I can break into the musky game.

sNj6Va8.jpg

Edited by jigstick