Advise on boat

Hello. New boat shopping is fun. I went thru that a couple of years ago and was looking at the Crestline commander ,Lund sport angler and Starcraft fish master. All really nice boats but you might want to look out on the west coast at some of the options out there. It seems to me there are a lot more to chose from like King fisher, Northwest, Hewescraft and such. I wish there was a dealer closer to our area, this being the biggest drawback. Their boats have very little plastic on them and mounting things like downriggers on the gunals looks to be a  very solid mount (meaning no backer plate to reduce flex). Have fun so many nice boats and options to choose from. Jeff

Good luck with it Jeremy. The basic fact is that there is no perfect boat out there that does it all very well...l it is always a matter of compromise and in the end it needs to do what you value most and minimize that which you feel is less important. If you achieve that you'll probably be a happy camper .....most of the time:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Hard to beat the smokercraft Phantom series, I bought one new last year and just sold it. I didn't sell it because anything was wrong with it but I am a tiller guy and always will be. I loved everything about my phantom except for the steering wheel.IMG_3067.thumb.JPG.d13e38fe2a2ab04eff5d217ed7420f9d.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck,

I am a tiller guy also, what did you or are you planning to get for a replacement?
I have been running a 16.5' Alumacraft tiller for the last 12+ years but i am considering jumping to a 18 to 20 foot tiller. Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund make some pretty nice large tillers, they are just hard to find local. 

Baytech

Buck,
I am a tiller guy also, what did you or are you planning to get for a replacement?
I have been running a 16.5' Alumacraft tiller for the last 12+ years but i am considering jumping to a 18 to 20 foot tiller. Alumacraft, Crestliner and Lund make some pretty nice large tillers, they are just hard to find local. 

Baytech

I haven't locked one down yet but so far the Hewescraft open fisherman is at the top, it has everything I want just a little narrower than I wanted. I want a wide open back of the boat and it seems like all the main brands of aluminum and glass have the electronics lockers and rod lockers and storage taking up a ton of space where I want all my space. Having my phantom made me realize how nice it is having a big open "dance floor" I think it's even more
Important in a tiller because I'm taking up half of it with my seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hewescraft would be ideal, but they would be even harder to find out this way, the Michigan or Illinois dealers would be the closest. I usually fish out of Oswego and noticed someone there the last two years had a console Hewescraft. The Lund Alaskan, is one of the only models that I found without the electronics locker, but it does have a good bit of storage on the bow along with the starboard and port sides. Large tillers have come a long way over the past couple years.

Fishing mostly by myself, I find a tiller much easier to handle, plus all the extra room. 

I'm with you Jeremy on the commander however it was more than the Lund Sport Angler I bought in August. The other one I was looking at was the Smoker Craft Phantom. That was sweet but more than I wanted to spend. My last boat was the starcraft superfisherman 196 and I like the Lund better. It is equipt with a 150 merc 4 stroke which is amazing.

The commander 2050 with 200hp and most basic amenities is around 43k plus tax and fees.
I found a 2016 fishmaster 2100 with 200hp and most amenities for 40k plus tax and fees. I still got couple weeks before I pull the trigger. Working on pricing A FISHMASTER 196 WITH 200 hp.

The more you shop the more confusing it gets lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well at this point these are my choices advd prices relatively are the same.
Crestliner Commander 2050
StarCraft 196 fishmaster
Hewescraft 20 pro V

Long shots are the
Hewescraft 21 searunner
StarCraft 210 fishmaster

Hoping to do test rides in the Hewescraft April 9th. That will finalize my decision

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app