Weighted steel questions.

I bought a 300 ft spool to try out. It seems pretty nice to work with but if I can achieve the same depths with 200 and backing is there a benefit to running 300? Also...has anyone done a depth test with braid backing vs 19 strand wire? Braid and wire typically achieve similar depths so I am curious. Also curious if anyone tested copper depths with wire backing. If the weighted steel continues to achieve depth with wire backing why wouldn't copper do the same?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Copper will go farther down as well, because of the weight of the 19 strand wire, but not as much. That's because copper wire isn't as tightly woven as stainless and its resistance in the water is a bit higher.

All sinking rates of leadcore, copper and stainless are measured with the high end of the material at surface or just below. The sinking will continue as more backing is let out until the point where increased resistance of the backing (amount let out) and /or the speed of the line relative to the surrounding water column. (not boat  speed) will cause the line to stay level or even come back up higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by rolmops

after speaking with the owner of torpedo I came to the same conclusion as you even though I bought a spool of 300 and 200 why do I need the 300 if I can get just as deep with 200 and backing. he said through repeated testing they were able to get up to 200 feet down with the 200 weighted Steel and Wire backing.haven't tried them on the water yet as after trying to put it on a couple of my reels I realized I don't have a big enough one to fit 200 steel and 500 wire backing. on that note if you've spooled it up already, what reel were you able to fit it on?

The 300ft spool completely filled a saltist 40 with 0 backing. I'm going to Hamburg show. If torpedo is there I'll ask what they are using for reels. I was hoping to use the 40 with 200 yards and 1000 ft of 19 strand but doesn't look like that's going to work.

Yeah i tried a diawa 47 and okuma 45, no go with 200 steel and 1000' 30# wire.I would like to know if it will fit 700 tekota without having to buy one to find out

I use a Penn 345 level wind. It holds 250 feet of weighted wire backed by 300 feet of 19 strand and another 400 feet of 80# power pro. The full 300 did fit, but it was close.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I did color mark the line every 50 feet.

51 minutes ago, Smoke-N-Finn said:

Diawa SeaLine 60, High Speed 6.1/1 , will hold 1000' of 19strand, and 300' of Weighted Steel. High gear is only way to go when you are cranking that much.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If I did not have the Penn available I would have gone that way as well.

Edited by rolmops

If I read this right 200' weighted steel torpedo line plus 300' of 19 strand 30# wire will get you down 200' with a total of 500' in the water, then how much extra you want as backing to handle the strike

Lcha 40 saltist with 450ft 30lb braid...500 ft 19 strand wire...and 150 ft weighted steel. I emailed torpedo and asked if 150 ft would sink at same rate as 200 and was told it should be close. I run 30 lb braid backing for coppers so felt it should be ok for this setup. I'll let you know in a couple months how it works out.