Advice for painting my boat

Advice for painting my boat

Hi I'm going to paint my boat this spring and was wondering how everyone paints the bottom where it sits on the rollers? My friend who is painting it paints airplanes for a living and has no idea how we are going to get the very bottom painted. The boat is a 22' Starcraft islander 

A light boat on rollers, tie transom off to something secure, like a tree. Give the bow strap a couple inches of slack then pull the trailer forward a couple inches. Bottom will now have new exposed area to apply paint to. When done winch it back to the roller stop. Putting the boat on blocks or stands will still leave you with unpainted spots unless you have multiple stands and then you can move them around as you progress. Yes its much easier on stands ,if you can borrow them . Boat stands are not cheap.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

You can put some blocks on all 4 corners of the boat on the outside of the trailer take a floor jack with a piece of wood on the jacks pad. Then raise up the boat and throw a 4x4 [ or something that wont break ] across the blocks ,lower boat on 4x4 and remove trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

Trailer boats stored on the trailer have little problem with fouling or electrolysis. Bare spots need to be primed first with an acid based primer, usually available in a spray can. Then a primer over that. A small thin roller about ten inches wide will do the job. Usually an epoxy paint works well and aluminum boats show little rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United