Trump effect

So all these rules and regulations that have been on the books for decades are going by the wayside ? What's left of the factories that are part of the Great :Lakes watershed, are they going to disconnect all there pollution equipment and just start dumping all there waste into the air and water ? Every state and province has environmental laws that are over lapped by the feds. Government and Research Facilities that are all funded by us, the taxpayers and is redundant at best along with them doing anything to keep there free ride going. Maybe that money used to fund them could be better spent on rebuilding our infrastructure and the trickle down money from that will slow down the unemployment in the USA. Carnegie ? the guy that equipped a small army to shoot and kill striking workers who were paid poverty wages? Then he ended up with so much money that he built Carnegie Hall to see his name in lights  The Lakes will lose nothing, Trump Train ,all aboard .

No question that expenditures need to be reduced, you can't spend money that we don't have to the tune of 10 trillion in 8 years.  But it is also necessary to realize that air and water are not free goods, and the costs of cleaning them if they are polluted will have to be borne by someone.  And it generally costs 10 x's more to clean them up than to keep them clean to begin with, and the costs of keeping them clean get passed to the consumers of the products that would have created the pollution, rather than to external entities that do not directly benefit from the products.  

We're so smart ^ haha. Mellon head U, a PRIVATE college/ research institution / mostly funded but US taxpayers dollars for research,much like Woods Hole out on the Cape researches the Ocean. Maybe if the NY used some of the 108 million paid in taxes each year by sports people along with the 60 million for the actual license on environmental issues over the last few decades we would be better off. Way too much money for the  EPA goes towards administration cost than actual remedial work.  Done  with this .

I said before the election and I'll say it again Trump is no friend to the hunters and fisherman of this country. He's never walked through the woods with a shotgun or rifle in his hand, he's never held a fishing rod in his hand on one of the Great Lakes,Rivers or streams. Get ready for his 97% reduction of funding for the Make America Great Lakes!!!  Sportsman and blue coller people of America I'm sorry to say but he fooled you. Is Great Lakes Sportfishing billion dollar industry on his priority list?? - NOT!!! Make America Great Again means lets go back to the 50's & early 60's remember how great the Great Lakes Were Back Then!!!  I'm a registered republican that could not bring myself to vote for Trump for so many reasons. Been watching his shady dealings since early 70's. God help us all!!!

Maybe,but let me enlighten you. A Carnegie Mellon is a research grant handed out by the Carnegie Mellon foundation. In fact, less than a week ago the U of R (Meloria!!) was rewarded one million dollars for their humanities research. You will read about it in the papers not so long from now.

Edited by rolmops

I'm starting to see something interesting via this Trump Effect, perhaps unintentional perhaps not. Where it looks like gaps are emerging, people or even businesses are coming forward to fill them. It's happening via Silicon Valley and Planned Parenthood, Golisano and the downtown arts center, numerous other examples. Regardless of your politics, it's changing the way business gets done. 

On one hand, this Is good to see, as it puts the financial onus on the supporters themselves and encourages stakeholders to get involved. On the other hand, we are a leader in caring for those who can't care for themselves. This could change. There's not as much vested interest and too much abuse of the system to encourage general support.

235,000 jobs added last month. REDUCED the national debt by $60 billion. He's actually doing what he said he would in his campaign (which is unheard of). I am always going to be somewhat skeptical of a president, but I have more confidence in him than any other president we've had in my lifetime ( I missed out on the greatness of Ronald Reagan). Don't be too quick to condemn him based on the removal of 97% of EPA funding. He will be restoring most of that after the PORK is removed. We need to do this in all facets of our government. Not everybody is going to be happy, some will suffer worse than others, but we cannot keep spending money and printing more to make us feel like we're not in the catastrophic debt we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm starting to see something interesting via this Trump Effect, perhaps unintentional perhaps not. Where it looks like gaps are emerging, people or even businesses are coming forward to fill them. It's happening via Silicon Valley and Planned Parenthood, Golisano and the downtown arts center, numerous other examples. Regardless of your politics, it's changing the way business gets done. 

On one hand, this Is good to see, as it puts the financial onus on the supporters themselves and encourages stakeholders to get involved. On the other hand, we are a leader in caring for those who can't care for themselves. This could change. There's not as much vested interest and too much abuse of the system to encourage general support.

Exactly! What is intended or not intended. The government needs to get out of the way and have the private sector do the leg work with people and businesses that know how to get things done without all the hand holding from politics. There are experts in fields that are not going to take free money (taxpayer) and prosper with their knowledge of business to get things done. Most of them already have enough of their own money and see how to make more money without doing it on the taxpayers back. Ala Trump.

cent frum my notso smartphone

4 minutes ago, muskiedreams said:

Both parties have serious faults. They both keep moving further from the center. If the tug of war continues, the not so rich and the poor will continue to loose.

You realize trump was a democrat most of his life and probably one of the most middle of the road candidates we could have gotten don't you? The media is just out to get him because he doesn't like them 

6 minutes ago, fishmaster13184 said:

You realize trump was a democrat most of his life and probably one of the most middle of the road candidates we could have gotten don't you? The media is just out to get him because he doesn't like them 

He is only one man. He only has so much influence. The Presidency only has so much influence no matter who occupies the office. It is the super wealthy that really control Washington. If we had campaign finance and lobbying reform, it might help.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Trump changes what he says and what he does to fit the situation. That is politics 101 and he isn't the first to do that. A politician is just a different kind of salesman. The most important thing to a salesman is to make the sale.

I'm all for less government interference in my life! I just hope that we don't lose our compassion in the process. And I hate to see the division getting wider. I'm a moderate in most respects, but it's easier to get attention when you're shouting from the end of spectrum...while the middle gets caught in the crossfire. 

Edited by Gator

The Trump budget funding cut is NOT a 97% general cut to the EPA. It's a direct 97% cut to Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. This program has been in place for many years and has positive results that we've all seen. I remember Lake Erie in the 1960's it was pretty disgusting. Anyhow Great Lakes Restoration Initiative has had bipartisan support in congress for  many years but doesn't seem to be a priority to this administration. Even Chris Collins republican/conservative from the Buffalo area has voiced his concern about  these proposed cuts to the Great Lakes. Collins has supported increased funding for Great Lakes Restoration in recent years. Collins has been a huge Trump supporter but apparently there not going to agree on this one. We all need to be watchful and ready to make our voices heard. On my personal priority list my Great Lakes Fishing and recreation rates way above my interest in politics.

Our peers in Michigan are NOT fans of the Great Lakes restoration initiative. It has some merit but like so many other things gets twisted. Most people want Pacific Salmon to fish for in Lake Michigan--this initiative doesn't prioritize what the anglers want--just "talk to the hand."  Also let us not forget the single biggest danger to fish densities in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario is going overboard on phosphorus control, which once again is driven by non sports people and the "feel good" Green religion.

For far too long MAN has been taken out of the equation. MAN built the seaway and with it came progress and huge environmental problems. To me, MAN putting Pacific Salmon in the Great Lakes is absolutely no different than a bird of prey dropping a Bass in a body of water it wasn't inhabiting before. It's natural, and it was no accident that it was successful.

Do not think for one minute that the GLRI movement cares one iota if your drag screams during your valuable recreation time. It sounds like a worthy initiative to anglers but there is much more beneath the surface.

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

That goes to show that there are interests in the lake beyond fishing.

My main worry is that big business is getting ready to make pipelines in order to pump water out of the lakes and transport it to California, or tanker ships that will load up in Lake Ontario and transport the water to Saudi Arabia. That last one was tried before and stopped at the last moment. But it's business so its good for America and some of us might dream about the trickle down effect happening in Lala Land.

Edited by rolmops

FWIW:  NYS tried to put very stringent ballast rules on incoming freighters & it was the Feds that shot it down. The Phosphorous laws were also 1st proposed & adopted by NYS.  The good thing from the Feds is the USGS and I hope their funding doesn't get cut.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

1 hour ago, LongLine said:

FWIW:  NYS tried to put very stringent ballast rules on incoming freighters & it was the Feds that shot it down. The Phosphorous laws were also 1st proposed & adopted by NYS.  The good thing from the Feds is the USGS and I hope their funding doesn't get cut.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Agreed Tom. Solid talent in that agency. This administration is very outdoors/sportsmen friendly and this just has to get sorted out.

It amazes me how people scream for tax cuts & less government until it effects their own interests. I'm quite sure those on public assistance don't want to get their freebies taken away either. Illegals don't want free health care discontinued. Arrested Drug addicts don't want outpatient rehabs that keep them out of jail defunded either. My point is cuts need to be made.& Spending has to be reigned in or the debt will grow. We need to hold leaders accountable for appropriately spending the $ raised with revenue generated by the fishing & hunting sales,licensing, charters, dock fees, hotels, tackle sales... etc goes back to propagate that industry. NYS pays some of the highest tax rates in the country & is one of the biggest offenders of fiscal irresponsibility. The problem isn't always the misguided intentions of projects needed it's the siphoning & diverting of the $ on the way to these projects. 

4 hours ago, dmd113 said:

It amazes me how people scream for tax cuts & less government until it effects their own interests. I'm quite sure those on public assistance don't want to get their freebies taken away either. Illegals don't want free health care discontinued. Arrested Drug addicts don't want outpatient rehabs that keep them out of jail defunded either. My point is cuts need to be made.& Spending has to be reigned in or the debt will grow. We need to hold leaders accountable for appropriately spending the $ raised with revenue generated by the fishing & hunting sales,licensing, charters, dock fees, hotels, tackle sales... etc goes back to propagate that industry. NYS pays some of the highest tax rates in the country & is one of the biggest offenders of fiscal irresponsibility. The problem isn't always the misguided intentions of projects needed it's the siphoning & diverting of the $ on the way to these projects. 

AMEN!      When they restructured the online/DECALS license issuing system I wanted info inputted as to where and what species were fished for. Did not happen. I feel the understanding of the financials of this fishery coulld be much better understood by NY government. 

He is only one man. He only has so much influence. The Presidency only has so much influence no matter who occupies the office. It is the super wealthy that really control Washington. If we had campaign finance and lobbying reform, it might help.
Also, in case you haven't noticed, Trump changes what he says and what he does to fit the situation. That is politics 101 and he isn't the first to do that. A politician is just a different kind of salesman. The most important thing to a salesman is to make the sale.

Nice try. The only problem with your statement is that a president is supposed to be a statesman. The president is also the representative of the United States to the rest of the world. At this point he acts like a bad second hand car dealer.

47 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Nice try. The only problem with your statement is that a president is supposed to be a statesman. The president is also the representative of the United States to the rest of the world. At this point he acts like a bad second hand car dealer.

I know the bar hasn't been set too high the last eight years but I see an improvement in US perception in the world unless you ask  the people who have been benefiting from the status quo! People getting rich at others expenses rarely will speak up & bite the hand that feeds them.