Trump effect

We need the wall. It will pay for itself in short order. We need a stronger Military, and we need clean Great Lakes. REALTY: Our country is 20 trillion in debt. It will never and can never be paid off, mathematically it is simply not possible. So, what are we to do? In addition to what we already owe, they are spending more than the 3 trillion they bring into the coffers every year.   When the discretionary budget is so small, with almost the entire budget ate up with interest on the debt, and obligations under SS, Medicare etc, there is very little to work with. This country has dug itself a huge hole. Entire agencies and departments will need to be eliminated. Foreign aid will need to be halted. Fraud and waste will have to be eliminated.  Pork projects will need to be eliminated. We will need to withdraw from useless expensive organizations like the UN. There will be pain all across the country, but that is the place we are at from unchecked spending. Now, I voted for Trump, not my first choice, but since then I am proud to have done so. He is trying to keep his pledges. I will never vote for a Democrat, nor have I ever. Cannot stand the Party and what it is, and what its leadership and rank and file support, and what they oppose. But, when Trump talks about the infrastructure spending, I ask, where will the money come from? Same place Obama got his $800 billion for his stimulus that stimulated nothing but the unions, and returned to the Democrat Party via union donations. They will print more, and borrow more. I don't know the answer, I don't think at this point there is a way out, but at some point, it will be forced upon us all. Oh BTW the debt ceiling is reached March 12th. The law says it CANNOT be exceeded. What then? 

As far as the Asian Carp immenant invasion of the Great Lakes goes, this should of been addressed 5-8 years ago.Who was president when it could of been nipped in the bud ?It's too late now,there in the Great Lakes. The man made backward flowing river/ canal that goes through Chicago should of been completely closed off , electric shocking is not going to keep them out. I would guess that 99% of this alleged money cutback is actually going to " administration " ,( see well paid politicians, ) and not for actual remedial  work. I have seen so much BS fake news that I will wait and see if this is not more of the same far left news media trying to drum up as much rhetoric to get as many special interest groups protesting Trump for something that he hasn't done. 

Above and beyond the Chicago water-way barrier, I was thinking about the effects on the clean-up of Eighteen Mile Creek, the Lake Trout/Atlantic Salmon programs, the resistance to wind-power generators in Lake Ontario, the research funding for the USGS-Kaho ship, etc etc.  Agreed, I hope they go to work on the 20 trillion dollar deficit.  All the talk about increase in military spending and building the wall, one of the single biggest threat to our country is our inability to fund a war if needed.  Pain will be felt by all.

10 hours ago, garrymny said:

We need the wall. It will pay for itself in short order. We need a stronger Military, and we need clean Great Lakes. REALTY: Our country is 20 trillion in debt. It will never and can never be paid off, mathematically it is simply not possible. So, what are we to do? In addition to what we already owe, they are spending more than the 3 trillion they bring into the coffers every year.   When the discretionary budget is so small, with almost the entire budget ate up with interest on the debt, and obligations under SS, Medicare etc, there is very little to work with. This country has dug itself a huge hole. Entire agencies and departments will need to be eliminated. Foreign aid will need to be halted. Fraud and waste will have to be eliminated.  Pork projects will need to be eliminated. We will need to withdraw from useless expensive organizations like the UN. There will be pain all across the country, but that is the place we are at from unchecked spending. Now, I voted for Trump, not my first choice, but since then I am proud to have done so. He is trying to keep his pledges. I will never vote for a Democrat, nor have I ever. Cannot stand the Party and what it is, and what its leadership and rank and file support, and what they oppose. But, when Trump talks about the infrastructure spending, I ask, where will the money come from? Same place Obama got his $800 billion for his stimulus that stimulated nothing but the unions, and returned to the Democrat Party via union donations. They will print more, and borrow more. I don't know the answer, I don't think at this point there is a way out, but at some point, it will be forced upon us all. Oh BTW the debt ceiling is reached March 12th. The law says it CANNOT be exceeded. What then? 

If you want lower taxes,smaller government,and more freedom you should be ready to give up some of the government money that goes to what you approve of. A lot of us rip on food stamps,medicaid,and other entitlements,but we're fine with money for fish stocking and nice boat launches. If you read "art of the deal" you'll see how Trump will start by asking for three times what he expects to get. In this case that means he expects to cut the great lakes restoration fund by 33% and not the 97% he's proposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

46 minutes ago, old man said:

If you want lower taxes,smaller government,and more freedom you should be ready to give up some of the government money that goes to what you approve of. A lot of us rip on food stamps,medicaid,and other entitlements,but we're fine with money for fish stocking and nice boat launches. If you read "art of the deal" you'll see how Trump will start by asking for three times what he expects to get. In this case that means he expects to cut the great lakes restoration fund by 33% and not the 97% he's proposed.

The only thing about the money spent for stocking, launches and even enforcement is that we more than fund that with our own cash spent for a hunting and fishing license . Matter of fact I  believe there is a huge surplus that is put into there slush fund where it is distributed to who knows where ,,, probably food stamps. Just googled it and taxes alone generated in NY from sportspeople amount to 108 million. On top of that there are 1.88 million fishing licenses purchased and 823,000 hunting licenses in NY at aprox 30.00 per license. Yep I am fine with the minimal money they spend to keep us happy,[ somewhat sarcastic] and not beefing about what little we get in return for ALL the money they generate off us.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/field-directive-federal-excise-tax-on-the-importation-and-manufacture-of-fishing-and-archery-products

Get you a lawyer, have him TRY and explain how this federal excise tax, together with what Bozeman Bob has outlined, and figure out why the EPA needs to be funded so generously.... my head spins from all the ways we pay to be so fortunate to have so minimal return. 18 mile cleanup should not be a problem, nor any. EPA only needs a scientific analysis to determine the job was done.

How much fishing and archery tackle was purchased in the US since 2008?

Sounds like a tactic to elicit a  knee jerk reaction that occurs with any proposed tax cut. "If we don't increase taxes, Senior citizens will starve, Military members won't get paid" ...etc. What should be done is find out where the sizable funds raised by the fishing industry is being spent! Pork barrel spending in both the state & federal government.is unchecked. How many cents on the dollar raised is actually spent sustaining the industry? How much is funneled up the food chain to cover  "administrative costs"? JMO

It would be nice to know how much is collected from tackle and equipment sales, where it is spent and if there is a way for sport fishing organizations to have a say in or make proposals on specific projects to spend it on. Same thing on the state level for funds raised from license sales. And of course how much of it is actually put back into the fisheries, wildlife, etc. after all the bureaucratic expenses.

It seems like the excise tax is complicated and confusing, creates a lot of bureaucratic expense and expense to manufacturers and sellers trying to figure out if they owe tax and how much.

For example: What about a company that makes lures. Did the companies from which they buy hooks, split rings, snaps, etc. already pay tax on those items? And do they end up having to pay tax on their entire finished product, including the parts they bought which may have been already taxed? Or do they have to fill out, or request from their supplier, some crazy forms (wasted expense in reporting) to make adjustments for that.

Edited by muskiedreams

I'd feel alot better about this if it was a straight up effort to reduce government spending.  But it looks to me like the moneys not spent here will be diverted into significantly increasing our military spending.  And I don't see that as justified right now.  If we've got a choice between spending it on improving the lakes or more military spending, I'll take the former right now please.

16 hours ago, old man said:

Hit send by mistake.emoji12.pngi wanted to add that the great lakes restoration fund could not stop the mussels,milfoil,or gobies when they were fully funded so why give them $300,000,000 to not be able to stop asian carp.

Mussels , Milfoil and Gobies were all in the lake before the GLRI.   Thank the shipping industry!

Just as pointed out about hooks, rings , bodies. Etc.the individual components already contain the tax imbedded in the price payed for those components by a wholesaler or jobber at the first point of sale (manufacturer).
As a custom rod builder, this is my cost, payed to the jobber he already payed the manufacturer. I purchase rod blanks, guides, reel seats, handles, etc,etc. Not worth anything to a fisherman as such, and reselling those individual components to another builder doesn't need to impose the tax again in raw form, but when assembled (manufactured) into a new fishing rod, or lure in previous case, by using at least 2 components, it gets another excise tax imbedded at Point of sale. Maximum is capped at 10 dollars on 160.00 or more for the new rod.
It carries over if a retailer buys the rod and sells the rod for more. In the end, the consumer has paid the tax, the final sale reports it.
Although relatively unknown to most fishermen, every time they purchase fishing tackle or related gear, they're paying a 10% user tax.
Using previously manufactured parts in the construction of a fishing rod, lure, etc. you are manufacturing a totally new item; something that did not previously exist. You no longer have a blank, or hooks and rings, and some component parts, you now have a fishing rod or lure. Thus, you have a new manufactured item upon which the full tax is due upon the point of first sale. Any taxes paid previously on the parts used in the construction of the new item are no longer considered. The tax is due on the selling price of the new custom rod, lure or finished product.
Confusing yes....
The federal excise is held to match individual states license and goods sales. The more sales the bigger the allotment based upon state usable recreational area. One sore spot for NY is the free marine license. Thousands of lost state revenue that could get matching fed money, NOW comes from the conservation fund, payed by upstate licenses that cost us 29 dollars....wise up Albany!...headshake...lost hundreds of thousands dollars. So how much did ramps, and public access in long island take from the fund, and could have been covered by the excise tax?
Not just pork!, dead brain cells!

cent frum my notso smartphone

Maybe they could get away with calling all the components such as hooks, split rings, snaps, stainless wire, bodies, hook dressing materials, clevis', eyes, beads, etc. CRAFT MATERIALS. Tackle stores and sporting goods stores could just add crafts to the name of the store such as:

Bass Pro and Crafts Shop

OR

Musky Tackle and Crafts Online

OR

Dicks Hunting, Sporting Goods and Crafts

OR

Field & Stream & Crafts

Lure Parts Online would have to call themselves Crafts Parts Online

It might be a little tough to call hooks a craft item though.

A tackle box could easily be called a parts box, tool box or utility box. There is no law that says what it must be used for after it is purchased.

Maybe some lures could be called Christmas Tree decorations.

Nothing should be allowed to be taxed twice.

Exactly, and this is why we need the business man to know the difference. Some others need to understand nothing is free. If government supplied it, the sheeple paid for it.
Too many managers of too many departments and there comes a point where the sheeple get nothing back. I hate being "fleeced"... the exposure is imanent! The swamp contains many rotten stumps.

cent frum my notso smartphone

Maybe they could get away with calling all the components such as hooks, split rings, snaps, stainless wire, bodies, hook dressing materials, clevis', eyes, beads, etc. CRAFT MATERIALS. Tackle stores and sporting goods stores could just add crafts to the name of the store such as:

Bass Pro and Crafts Shop
OR
OR
OR
Field & Stream & Crafts
A tackle box could easily be called a parts box, tool box or utility box. There is no law that says what it must be used for after it is purchased.

Google pittman-robertson act.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

17 hours ago, muskiedreams said:

Bass Pro and Crafts Shop

OR

OR

OR

Field & Stream & Crafts

Seriously? I don't know about you but I'm taxed when I make money & turn around & get taxed when I spend it! That same $ will then be  taxed when I die & leave it to my kids!

My guess is that the funds raised from Pittman Robertson are being wasted and not spent where they are supposed to be spent. Same with our hunting and fishing licenses. All Government agencies should be forced to go back to zero based budget. In other words not based on what they got last year. The old, "use it or lose it" is killing us. Now, 20 trillion in debt. Drastic cuts need to be made across the board, and I'll bet if agencies worked smart and cut out the unnessary spending, they could still get the job done.

Whoever voted for him is responsible for the destruction and pollution that will soon be with us. I wonder how many people working for government agencies and research facilities will soon be added to the unemployment lines. Gator, I wish you lots of strength trying to get another NHA grant. It is a good thing that Carnegie-Mellon is still around. The Lakes will loose out for sure. The biggest winners are China and India because this is where  the great and inventive research will be happening.

Edited by rolmops