2017 LOTSA Pen Project

Instigator

For the last several years, LOTSA’s net pen project located in Olcott NY has been one of the most successful pen projects in New York, producing some of the largest and healthiest young salmon and steelhead seen on the south shore of Lake Ontario.

One of the keys to the success of this project is largely due to the cooperation and participation of the Town of Newfane Marina employees. Over the years they have ensured that almost every scheduled feeding has taken place. This has resulted in consistent growth and a high quality end product for all of us to enjoy. They have done a great job, and we thank them for their tireless efffort. Through 2016, the baby fish have been fed five times per day by broadcasting the feed little bits at a time over the top of the pens. The food drops through the net on top of the pens falling to the waiting fish. Depending on how the food is spread and the size of handful used, food could possibly make it all the way through the pen without being eaten. This year (2017) we have purchased automatic feeders (pictured below) for the pens. There will be two feeders suspended over each pen. Over the course of twelve hours food will be trickled very slowly into the pens allowing for a more consistent feed and hopefully no waste.

Volunteers are always needed and welcomed. Please come out and help the club and the fishery.

0224170818a.jpg

Some key dates to remember for 2017 are:

April 8th The pens will be assembled and placed into the water. Lots of help is needed for this, Bring side cutters.

April 9th-15th At some point yet to be determined this week the fish will be delivered. Very fun and interesting. Bring the kids!

May 4th Pens will be removed and cleaned. There is never enough help for this evolution. Lunch will be provided.

Sent from my VS995 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

BigB,
We will be meeting April 8th at 9 am at the Town of Newfane Marina. Dress warm, we never get good weather on the days we put the pens in. Also, if you have some bring side cutters to clip zip ties. Look forward to seeing you there. Thanks!

Edited by Instigator

Just a reminder that the Olcott pens will be going in this Saturday April 8th.  We will meet in Olcott at the Town of Newfane Marina at 9:00am.  Dress warm and bring side cutters to clip zip ties. 

The more volunteers that we have, the faster the job goes. Come on out and help us kick off the 2017 season.

The 2017 LOTSA net pen project is well underway. Today a large group of volunteers met at the Town of Newfane Marina to prep and attach the nets to the pen frames. Once the nets were attached, they were placed in the water and readied for our baby fish. If all goes as planned we should be getting our fish some time next week. As in past years the pen project will be receiving 67,000 Chinook salmon and 3,500 steelhead. Help will be needed on the day the fish are delivered, so if you can please come out and help. Bring the kids, this part is pretty interesting to see. They can count the fish as they come down the pipe.

Thank you to all that took the time to help with such a worthy cause. It was great to see so many familiar faces and quite a few new ones too. As soon as we know when our fish will be delivered, we will let you know Via Lake Ontario United (LOTSA message board), Facebook, and our soon to be released Redesigned website www.lotsa1.org.

0408170925.jpg0408170925a.jpg0408170934.jpg0408171051.jpg0408171052b.jpg0408171103b.jpg

We got notified today that our fish will be delivered at 1:00pm Monday April 17th. If you can make it, please come out and help us get the fish in the pens and move the pens to their final position.

We will meet at the Town of Newfane Marina at 12:30 to make sure we are ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Our salmon are growing  nicely.  They were received April 17th at a weight of 120 fish per pound.  Last week they were weighed at 66 fish per pound, which is a substantial growth for 1 week.  They will be weighed once more just before they get released this Wednesday.  The steelhead are growing rapidly as well, however i dont have weights for them right now.  Steelhead will be releaded Tuesday.  Dont tell the comorants!

We will need lots of help removing and cleaning the pens when they are removed this  Thursday May 4th at 9:00 am.  Please come out and help with this vital part of our fishery.  Bring your side cutters again!

Here are a couple pics of the pen feeders in action. update.

0419171953.jpg0419171951a.jpg0419171951c.jpg

That was a absolute fantastic well organized group of people that responding to this event that provides to all those with a line in the water. I take care of the fish for our gun club, we raise our own also. It's truly amazing how fast these fish grow. Even the hatchery guys were annoyed that our fish were bigger than theres. It's to bad that I live so far from the lake, being disabled I could do a lot of the stuff other don't care for, but that's not the case:(.  But :yes: :yes: to guys and gals that gave their time!!

Last Thursday May 4th we pulled the LOTSA pens from Olcott Harbor. The fish were a little smaller than normal, but were only held for 17 days this year. The feeders worked well and we thank the Town of Newfane Marina for making sure the feeders were filled every day. We would also like to thank all who helped throughout the duration of this years project.

Here are a few pictures from Thursday.0504171110b.jpg0504171109a.jpg0504171109b.jpg