Panfishing smaller lakes in FL region

Panfishing smaller lakes in FL region

Which  smaller lakes do you guys like, if you want to panfish with little ones?

I don't like cayuga these days, as the Gobies are fierce, and i want to be able to fish with my 4 YO grandson, and have him catch bluegills, perch and maybe a bullhead here and there without those damn Gobies tearing the bait off if the hook gets near the bottom... Not only that, but the Fingers can get nasty on any given day,and I want him to love  his  fishing time with PaPa and not want to leave because he's scared of the rough water.
 I fished  with him last year at Cayuta a few days, and we did well with mostly medium sized gills and pumpkinseeds, and a few good size perch, so thats one  lake  we have  done ok at .. I imagine waneta/lamoka are good panfish lakes as well. haven't fished there in years, and maybe someone could give me a thumbnail without revealing any "hotspots". Also interested in Whitney Point, as its not too far from here.. I am between Ithaca and Binghamton and nothing is real close  but thats ok. I have any number of boats I can use from 14 to 18.
 If anyone has thoughts on panfish lakes that a little boy and his grandpa can  enjoy please chime in.. I am NOT looking for anyone's spot, or techniques.. just ideas on good smaller bodies of water to take my grandson fishing that are  at least decently productive and hassle free.... bob

Try the south end of Canadice or Hemlock.  I'm not saying they are great panfish lakes, but if I was taking a child those two lakes have the undeveloped wilderness feel to them with usually excellent water quality.  I would also set a spincast set up with a Yamamoto senko worm on a 0/3 or 0/4 bass hook at the end of the line.  About a foot above it I would use a # 8 or #6 hook with a piece of nightcrawler on it.  You can use a bobber a few feet above it. No sinker, the senko will sink slowly.   My nephew will catch panfish with it and once in a long while a bass would hit the Senko.  Although I have not fished Waneta or Lamoka in several years, those are good lakes on the weekdays.

You might want to try the south end of Honeoye for the panfish and perch and largemouth bass even basic worm on a hook should work there. The lake doesn't usualy get very rough and there is a bathroom rright there at the launch :)

Otisco is good lake for kids and close to you. There is good early season shore fishing as well. If you decide to give it a try pm me and I'll do my best to help you out. Whitney point is another good choice, but has a 25hp max.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Maybe it's because I'm an Odessa native and have spent allot of time on Cayuta but I wouldn't hesitate to try that again if I were you it has been getting better and produces better perch, crappie and bluegill every year. I could give other places in the Odessa area and more info on that lake in a pm if your interested

thanks suttontroller , i appreciate the offer and I will PM you.
 i like cayuta, and its  one of the closer lakes to me, and according to my color FF it is LOADED with life.. tons of bait, that I think are sawbellies. We went in summer and didn't get any Crappies, but I know they are there, and I hope to find a few there this coming spring. Walleyes in there as well

. I think  know  a good way to catch them but won't reveal it here... bob

Not sure how far you're willing to go but Owasco is tough to beat for spring panfishing in my opinion. Main body can get wavy, but if you fish the docks on the north west side Of the lake you will get big sunfish and gills along with a smattering of perch and bullhead. As a bonus I've noticed the panfish are all very pretty colored there. Plus there's always giant schools of fish to see which I'm sure he'll enjoy IMG_1488779764.187113.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United