Starcraft or Alumacraft?

seadragon

Starcraft or Alumacraft?

Hello,   I fish half the time out of Buffalo Harbor for Bass and the other half on Conesus lake for Bass and pike.   I don't troll often but may start to try for Walleye this year and also try to troll for Musky on Conesus.    

Looking at a 196 Fishmaster, 205 Trophy, and a 205 Competitor.    Seems the 196 is best for trolling and the 205 competitor is best for bass fishing/casting.   The Trophy may be the best compromise but I'm looking for input from others on Ride, fishability, trolling, etc.

Thanks!

Edited by seadragon

Take a look at the starcraft stx 2050.  A lot of guys troll from those on erie, and they are better laid out for casting/jigging than the fish master.  I have a 196 fish master and its a great boat, but I troll 95% of the time so I got the boat that is set up almost entirely for trolling.  The stx is similar to those two alumacrafts you mentioned.

An Alumacraft Trophy is hands down the nicest multi species Aluminum boat made.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A friend of a friend is close to pulling the trigger on one. The new ones have storage hatches on the gunnels. How can we put track on them with hatches in the way? Poor design if you ask me.

Supposedly the Trophy has a track already built into the rail.   Asked salesman about bert's tracks and he said some are. putting them right on the door.   Not crazy about the hatches on the gunnels either

There is no way I would trust a $300 wire diver set up attached to a hatch. Those STX 2050 look like sweet boats for the multispecies guys too.

A friend of a friend is close to pulling the trigger on one. The new ones have storage hatches on the gunnels. How can we put track on them with hatches in the way? Poor design if you ask me.

Agreed. Terrible design... that's an unfortunate case of "engineers who don't fish". Tracker's new V18 and V20 have the same awful hatches on the wide gunnels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a 2012 Fishmaster 196 with a 200 and 9.9 kicker and I love it. I fish bass, pike and spend most of my time in the big lake chasing the kings. Also the kids love to wake board and water ski and I can take the 4 riggers off in 10 minutes and go wherever I want. I have the Terovia trolling motor up front with a remote control. Sweet ride and I am confident on the big lake with 5 to 6 footers. I love my StarCraft.

Buddy spent 35k on a 205 alumacraft trophy, 2 yr later has a dent (poped in)  in the front lower section and the walk thru window flops in and he babyied the thing, i would passem with my crestliner with only the prop in the water.  Sent back to aluma craft and they pretty much toldem sucks to be you. I would question their graetlakes sea worthyness. Just my observations. I had new crestliner and they replaced my whole floor due to one little soft spot with no questions asked. Currently have startcraft and love it, same with my crestliner.

I have a 21 yr old Alumacraft Trophy 180 that has been on Lake MI, and Superior all its life. One time in 8-10's. Many times in 4-5's. So I wouldn't really question the Great Lakes sea-worthyness. Haven't looked at new boats so don't have an option either way, but my old Trophy can take me fishing anytime, without any worry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I own an 2008 Alumacraft Dominator and love it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those boats.  But... the newer design with the hatch in the gunnel is awful, total waste on a multi species rig.

ive owned a startcraft 176 superfisherman and currently a 205 Trophy, obviously the 205 has a much bigger platform and more fishing room, i cant speak to the newer starcrafts but the layout in the alumacraft was a lot more my style. The alumacraft is for sale currently if you're in the market.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have an opinion on the larger Alumacraft, Creslliner , or Lund Tillers (18-20 foot)? I fish a good bit by myself out of a 16.5 foot tiller and like the control and open floor space they offer but I am thinking of going a little larger. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments!    Still confused and Making the decision this week.  Between the trophy 205 and the fish master 196.   Fishmaster seems better for big water and trolling and trophy kind of a do it all boat with lower sides and less dead rise.    How is bass fishing out of each of these?  I do 50% bass fishing/casting and 40% drifting with 10% trolling.   This may change going forward.    

I would highly recommend the StarCraft. I know you said that you fish walleye mostly but the main difference that I see on the two boats is the transom. Looks like the Trophy has a low transom compared to my StarCraft that has a 35 inch transom. I had a 6 to 7 foot rogue wave come over the back of my old PolarCraft while trolling with the waves and after having 400 gallons of water in the boat in 2 seconds I bought another boat with a transom that the water could not come over the back of it. If you are going to fish Lake Ontario I recommend the one with a real transom. If you are in lakes and places where the weather won't come up at a moments notice and be in a Victory at Sea type of climate then the transom doesn't matter. My father always told me that it is a long walk home if the boat breaks down or something bad happens. I grew up in San Diego working on sport fishing charter boats and commercial fishing boats 100 miles out in the Pacific Ocean. Last but not least, I have been very happy with my StarCraft and have been out on 6 to 8 foot days and the only boat out. Never felt threatened but always cautious. Didn't plan to be out there on those days but the weatherman lies and is never right. Picture of the transom of my boat.

transom.jpg