Looks like another winning year for finger lakes rainbow trout.

Looks like another winning year for finger lakes rainbow trout.

:puke:Took a look at a few finger lakes tribs. By what I saw, looks like the rainbow trout have the upper hand come April 1st. Two years in a row. Saw suckers in the creek as well. Sure can't wait for a solid winter and a trout run that's on time. Another victory for the trout.

I think majority of the fish are already gone. Lots of old beds and few fish I did see were paired up and spawning. April 1st will be a ****show, 5000 fisherman and 5 trout. Not every year is for the fisherman.

I love creek fishing, however, I must say it baffles me we can't fish for spawning bass or musky, hell, even walleye but trout is fair game, now with that said, I know the flx tribs close for the off season to allow these fish their chance at spawning... and for a few years, the closed season has worked perfectly. The bows will and are going to come back strong IMO.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

12 hours ago, lakebound88 said:

, I must say it baffles me we can't fish for spawning bass or musky, hell, even walleye but trout is fair game, 
Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

X2 :yes:

Edited by ERABBIT

My feeling is that the worst problem despite the early spawners is the damage done by the idiots that trek through the redds while supposedly "fishing" for the spawners. This  can basically wipe out the efforts of the early spawners as well and in my view is a significant problem. I have personally seen it many times over the years in too many streams. I seldom stream fish anymore as a result as it isn't worth the anger I feel to observe it happening.

18 hours ago, fisherdude said:

with the low water levels i hope the bows get in and out with out getting beat up to bad .

They will be mostly in, done, and long gone before April 1.

To see for yourself, March 23 9:00 AM at Middlesex Rd. Bridge in Naples.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 9:20 AM, Lucky13 said:

They will be mostly in, done, and long gone before April 1.

To see for yourself, March 23 9:00 AM at Middlesex Rd. Bridge in Naples.

Idk..I hope so...I think the snow we got is a game changer...in the eastern tribes anyways...that flow is going to pull fish in..and they might get caught with their pants down...I think the whole idea of fishing spawning rainbows is crude.

I also think it's stupid!!, I can't for the life of me can't believe that the average fishermen doesn't know how much damage they are doing by wading in the streams:envy: BUT we have the Bassholes that practice catch & release of bass in the spawning season, while thinking they are the king of swing by catching a nested bass which a blind, crippled, crazy person can accomplish!! The gobies and pan fish rape and pillage the eggs to a point of nonexistent!! The same guys are the first to bytch there ain't NO BASS come June-July really. Just because the law says you can do it doesn't make it the right thing to do. Use your head for something other than a hat rack!!

I can't understand the thrill and excitement of targeting spawning fish of any kind. Combine that with the fact that lifting/snagging isn't fishing and I have no reason to be there. Ive been hitting the reservoirs in the Catskills in April for browns instead. No people as long as you stay in the reservoir and plenty of action.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

1 hour ago, pap said:

I also think it's stupid!!, I can't for the life of me can't believe that the average fishermen doesn't know how much damage they are doing by wading in the streams:envy: BUT we have the Bassholes that practice catch & release of bass in the spawning season, while thinking they are the king of swing by catching a nested bass which a blind, crippled, crazy person can accomplish!! The gobies and pan fish rape and pillage the eggs to a point of nonexistent!! The same guys are the first to bytch there ain't NO BASS come June-July really. Just because the law says you can do it doesn't make it the right thing to do. Use your head for something other than a hat rack!!

Its just imo that the rainbow fisheries in the Finger Lakes could use a few streams to be closed entirely...but I am pretty alone on this I know.

It is too much of a tradition. People buy a fishing license, so it's their right to kill a trout. Hook em and cook em!

I don't kill trout anymore. I think they are way too cool! Like an exotic wild beautiful thing that is way too cool to kill.

I love catching them though!

more than once!

Absolutely, if you hook one and it's not going to make it, that's another story!!  My dad loved to eat trout, me not to much. 1 and I had enough!! If they tasted like haddock, well then I'd keep a few. LOL

You aren't alone on wishing a few streams were closed for spawning. Several sections of the southern tier rivers are closed for all fishing during the walleye spawn. Makes perfect sense to me! I encourage people to keep a few fish for the table, but allow fish the best chance at reproducing every year !

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

I've spent much of my life fishing Seneca and most of the streams on Seneca and Keuka for muchof that timeThe trampling of the redds was a major factor in my decision  to get away from the stream fishing another is the level of poaching that goes on especially on the smaller shallower streams that are less well known. There are many years when the water levels seem to stay up that the larger streams still can support rainbows sometimes into early June in the deeper holes or underneath banks in the major streams. Storm activity in recent years as well as human generated clearing efforts have negatively impacted things recently though. I know a lot folks figureor assume  the fishing is "over" after the first week or so It is too bad the rainbow season couldn't open later in the streams at least like May 1st on the Finger Lakes when spawning is usually completed by most spawning fish and they are out of there other than the "stragglers" for about a five year period assess the results and if the fishery has regenerated to optimal conditions consider suspending it. I know it would negatively affect the "derbies" etc. but the future of the fishery sure seems more important to the future than winning a few bucks and having bragging rights.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

I've spent much of my life fishing Seneca and most of the streams on Seneca and Keuka for muchof that timeThe trampling of the redds was a major factor in my decision  to get away from the stream fishing another is the level of poaching that goes on especially on the smaller shallower streams that are less well known. There are many years when the water levels seem to stay up that the larger streams still can support rainbows sometimes into early June in the deeper holes or underneath banks in the major streams. Storm activity in recent years as well as human generated clearing efforts have negatively impacted things recently though. I know a lot folks figureor assume  the fishing is "over" after the first week or so It is too bad the rainbow season couldn't open later in the streams at least like May 1st on the Finger Lakes when spawning is usually completed by most spawning fish and they are out of there other than the "stragglers" for about a five year period assess the results and if the fishery has regenerated to optimal conditions consider suspending it. I know it would negatively affect the "derbies" etc. but the future of the fishery sure seems more important to the future than winning a few bucks and having bragging rights.

A Derby for the largest dead spawning rainbow...all proceeds to profit the bait shop and the local gin mill makes a few bucks. Cool.

A small trib. I know of that has natural reproduction, meaning some of the trout are left alone to spawn due to its remote location, was special to me.

when I called the...now retired...DEC biologist and voiced my concern for special regs...like shut it down and make it a nursery stream...he laughed.

the stunning "wild" lake rainbows I used to catch as a result of many reproducing in remote clean trips, are becoming very rare.

the main inlet to this particular lake is a total circus on opening day...news man there snapping pics of dead rainbow after dead rainbow...the DEC says no worry all the breeders have already come and gone

So that's why there are dozens of pics of hookjawed males and fat pre-spawn females...and the banks of the small creek are trampled and littered with styrofoam worm containers, cigarette butts, beer cans...and the news guy publishes pics on his web site...and within a few years...it is tough to find a rainbow at all...

true story.

Things will change only if and when minds are changed...and popular...albeit naive...opinion is that the rainbows are an edible resource, not a beautiful trophy fish to protect and enjoy...alive.

IMO...of course.