Perch fishing on canandaigua

Hello everyone, new to the group but I've grown up on canandaigua lake mostly skiing and wakeboarding...my lady and I have recently got into the lake fishing and managed to put together a 17 footer with equipment. We've been out quite a few times in about 25ft of water at the north end and west side before the pumphouse looking for schools on the fish finder and using fathead off the bottom and jigging with no luck. I'm wondering if it's slow going for everyone?

Denny

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Denny - One of the things you may discover about perch fishing in general and Canandaigua in particular  or other specifically  mentioned lakes is that folks have lock jaw and it is for good reason. The Internet has opened up opportunities for information sharing but in many cases with respect to fishing it has come at a real cost to the particular bodies of water mentioned on line especially the smaller lakes, and streams or particular areas. As a result people who seriously fish these areas do not communicate much on line in an attempt to limit the overfishing that often occurs.  Some of these places have been and currently are being hammered to death by some greedy and unscrupulous so-called "fishermen" and the "glory days" are fast disappearing in many places. Right now the perch have "lock jaw" in Canandaigua as they are stuffed with meisis shrimp which usually happens pre spawn so it is largely a waste of time having to search for the occasional one that will hit (mainly dinks if they do).

Hey that's cool sk8man...I appreciate the insight. Luckily I know enough about my lake to know where to keep looking...unfortunately this waste of time "work" keeps getting in my way. The perch that we have caught have puked up crayfish...that was just north of rock island on the flats at 25ft. I've heard from guys at the launch that they were catching 30-50 around one of the places I previously mentioned and I've been out there after work, I just keep my distance out of respect because they are always fishing it by the time I get out. I'm sure is a weed line or some structure that's holding them there, but I don't know what they are hitting them on...I'm assuming fatheads off the bottom. Persistence and knowledge will eventually pay off...I'll get on em sooner or later. Thanks bud!

Hey Denny just to add, by the way keep knocking on Les's door for info, one of the elite perch masters in the FL's. If you have electric motor for stealth. Any gas motor noise kills the bite. Anchoring near the expected location doesn't help. Bouy markers or gps as you drift when you bang a couple then come back way up wind and drop anchor is an old trick. Right now 2-4lb flouro with small jigs tipped with spikes minnows etc probably would be you best bet. I always say try to find your own school. Keep rods in the water don't lift fish out with boats going by will keep your intruders at bay. We're always learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Denny just to add, by the way keep knocking on Les's door for info, one of the elite perch masters in the FL's. If you have electric motor for stealth. Any gas motor noise kills the bite. Anchoring near the expected location doesn't help. Bouy markers or gps as you drift when you bang a couple then come back way up wind and drop anchor is an old trick. Right now 2-4lb flouro with small jigs tipped with spikes minnows etc probably would be you best bet. I always say try to find your own school. Keep rods in the water don't lift fish out with boats going by will keep your intruders at bay. We're always learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Excellent info! Yah I have and older minnkota 30# or 40# transom mount that I have to see if will move my boat....I don't know tho...I think it had a hard time moving my 15ft canoe if I remember correctly. I will keep this advice handy and it's very much appreciated. Now if I can retain it.....I seem to get buck fever when I get out there and it all goes to hell. My sincerest appreciation to both of you. I was gonna start trying the crocodile dundee dynamite technique if all else fails..lol!

Denny you have a personal message and you can take Mikes tips to the bank. Thanks Mike for the compliment it is especially meaningful coming from you. Thanks also Craig.  and good luck to you guys if you get out there.

Edited by Sk8man

Denny you have a personal message and you can take Mikes tips to the bank. Thanks Mike for the compliment it is especially meaningful coming from you. Thanks also Craig.  and good luck to you guys if you out there.

Thanks sk8. For some reason I can't open my private message...says there one there but when I go into the folder it says empty...huh.

• 5 weeks later...