Rochester State of the Lake Meeting

Thursday, March 9: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science building (76-1125) - Carlson Auditorium), Rochester, Monroe County. The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board.

Only real surprise is that the Feds will not be hitting their target for Lake Trout Stockings. M

2014= 971,000 lake trout (443,000 yearling; 528,000 experimental fall fingerlings)

2015= 975,600 lake trout (520,900 yearling; 454,700 experimental fall fingerlings)

2016= 384,250

2017= unknown exactly but less than 300,000

Fall fingerlings were eliminated from the stocking program and I believe the target is now 500,000 yearlings. The Lake Trout stocking in 2017 will obviously take a bigger hit than the initial 20% cut. 

1 minute ago, Missdemeanor said:

With that reduction in predator biomass ( expected stocking ) I wonder how the DEC plans to adjust the numbers ....more kings, steelhead or BTs?

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That question was asked last night. No adjustment. They dont have the extras in the system. 

That is pi$$ poor planning.... What a disgrace..... I'm aggravated already

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your just now aggravated? The state has ONE facility for salmon eggs. That's all I needed to know awhile ago that makes me aggravated. It's like Russian roulette, something is gonna happen. See y'all Thursday.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

20 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Only real surprise is that the Feds will not be hitting their target for Lake Trout Stockings. M

2014= 971,000 lake trout (443,000 yearling; 528,000 experimental fall fingerlings)

2015= 975,600 lake trout (520,900 yearling; 454,700 experimental fall fingerlings)

2016= 384,250

2017= unknown exactly but less than 300,000

Fall fingerlings were eliminated from the stocking program and I believe the target is now 500,000 yearlings. The Lake Trout stocking in 2017 will obviously take a bigger hit than the initial 20% cut. 

I think the lake trout stocking goal is now 400,000. 

15 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

I think the lake trout stocking goal is now 400,000. 

From what I can find...

Current LT stocking target numbers are 500,000 fingerlings. With the 20% "cut" in place for 2017 that number was reduced to 400,000.

Species

Life-Stage

Proposed NYSDEC Stocking 2017

Chinook Salmon

Spring Yearlings

Lake Trout

Spring Yearlings

Rainbow Trout

Spring Yearlings

Brown Trout

Spring Yearlings

Atlantic Salmon

Spring Yearlings

Coho Salmon

Fall Finglerlings

Spring Yearlings

COMBINED TOTAL*

Listen, the important question here should be.....Will their be cookies this year? Last year was the first with no cookies and I must say, I was taken back a bit.....lol

1 minute ago, Silver Fox said:

Listen, the important question here should be.....Will their be cookies this year? Last year was the first with no cookies and I must say, I was taken back a bit.....lol

Something we can all agree on... cookies!

Bumping up the steelhead and brown stocking numbers would make sense. There are less of each in the system due to disease and night poaching. They are not as likely to pressure the adult alewife population which the DEC/USGS for 2016 show as low. I would at this point give credit to the lake managers for having the foresight to see the coming void in the adult population of adult alewives and make corrective stocking cuts. We have been asking for a proactive approach and we are getting it. 

GILL-T, you know my position. The pressure on the adult alewife is already relaxed via increased pressure on Kings because of better skills and communication, predation on Kings by Man, birds, Lake trout, and warm water predators. Despite shortfalls in most trout stocking targets the King cut took place. The alewives are now poised for another big uptick, just like each and every time they have been down over the last 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Despite shortfalls in most trout stocking targets the King cut took place. The alewives are now poised for another big uptick, just like each and every time they have been down over the last 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agreed!  I think with the downtick in adult alewives will be short lived and should result in hungry kings this year = excellent fishing.:ninja::ninja: